Sixteen

Erwin's hard expression shifted into a disappointed frown, "that's very unfortunate

Erwin's hard expression shifted into a disappointed frown, "that's very unfortunate."

Unfortunate?

That's all you have to say?

Levi clenched his fist with resentment and forced himself to concentrate elsewhere, because if he focused on it too much, he wasn't sure what he'd do.

All he knew was he was feeling completely and utterly destroyed.

His conviction wasn't the same as Erwin's- not nearly was noble. He didn't care about humanity, or learning 'the truth' about the origins of the beasts beyond the walls.

His was, however, much simpler: Amelia.

He wanted nothing more than for her to live in a world where she could be free, where she wouldn't have to fear titans, where they could own their tea shop together and make their family grow. Above all, he longed for a world that would only make her smile.

So, in this dark, unfair one, what was he do to now that the only shred of happiness he had left, has disappeared?

Levi turned, "I see you've gathered our horses."

"Yes, we found them in the forest." Erwin responded, "are you alright, Captain?"

He shrugged off the inquiry, hopping onto his mighty steed silently.

He kept picturing the deaths of his squad mates as well as Isabel and Farlan's, a shutter raking his body. He gazed downward, ignoring the screeching of his ankle.

Isabel and Farlan- I miss you.

Petra, Oluo, Eld, Gunther- thank you.

And Amelia- I'm sorry, for everything.

But most of all, I'm sorry I never got to tell you my secret.

He sighed with a mix of emotions, trying to keep his composure. He brought the familiar chain over his cravat, clutching it tightly in his hand.

"It's like a promise ring. It's my promise to always be there for you." Amelia's cheerful voice rang in his ears, his grey irises glossing over.