Fourteen

A month had passed with the new cadets meticulously training in combat for the upcoming mission outside the walls

Amelia fit in well with her new squad, and she was happy to feel like she had somewhere to belong again. Although nobody could replace her mother, Isabel, or Farlan, she enjoyed the groups company nonetheless.

Except his.

Levi still treated her as a nuisance, not that Amelia expected any different. It's how he'd been the last six years, after all.

She just missed the way things used to be, or rather, how he used to be.

She leaned forward in anticipation, readying for the Commander to give the signal.

The gate opened as he shouted, "forward!"

"IT IS THE 57TH RECON EXPEDITION, SCOUTS, MOVE OUT!" Erwin yelled, the members of the Survey Crop obeying the request.

They moved at his words, the subordinates going to their assigned locations.

Amelia faintly heard Oluo attempting to give words of wisdom to Eren, biting his tongue again.

She rolled her bored eyes at the clumsy man, focusing back to the land in front of her.

She noticed red flares flying in the air as they followed Erwin, suddenly feeling uneasy.

"Keep going Isabel." Amelia encouraged, lightly patting the side of her mighty stead.

"Did you just talk to your horse?" Levi asked with an unenthused tone.

"Yeah, what about it?" She snapped.

"Captain Levi, we are heading into a forest." Eren pointed out.

"Thank you for stating the obvious." He responded plainly.

"But if there's a titan we won't be able to see it unless it's right on top of us." Eren astutely noted.

"I suppose you're right." Levi said with slight annoyance.

"Black smoke!" Eren observed.

"Shit." Oluo muttered.