Twenty Six

Amelia crashed onto her mattress with an exhausted sigh

Amelia crashed onto her mattress with an exhausted sigh. Her muscles relaxed from the action, though she knew she'd more than likely be both sore and stiff tomorrow. Fortunately, it was just going to be a boring day for paperwork and a debriefing about the rescue mission, so nothing too strenuous would be happening in base.

She was also lucky that nothing was broken this time around, though she still took a pretty big blow. Of course, she kicked herself for the rookie mistakes; if she'd found a way to be less impulsive, perhaps she wouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Regardless, she was thankful to make it alive and conscious.

At this point, she'd already showered, getting rid of the lingering sweat and titan blood that had covered her body and was relieved to be finally go to sleep.

Or so, she thought.

Her slumber would be delayed due to a frantic knock, forcing her to get out from the comfort of the warm covers.

Damn it.

She groaned, "coming."

Amelia yawned as she swung the door open, revealing a surprisingly panicked Levi.

His eyes were wider than usual, and seemed to be scan over her quickly. His brows were raised, covered from the bottom of his raven fringe. For some reason, he'd been panting as well. Amelia couldn't be sure as to why. He was rather pale, temporarily concerning the woman. Was he okay? Why was he out of breath? Shaken? Did he have a fever? Was his ankle bothering him? Or-

"What're you doing here?" She settled on asking, blinking curiously as if he'd disappear and that she was indeed hallucinating his presence.

He didn't respond, instead just wrapped his strong arms securely around her small frame. She flinched from the initial contact, hesitantly bringing her hands around him in return. Her fingers grazed his ebony hair, sending a wave of shivers down his spine. He froze, inhaling the soothing scent of vanilla as he attempted to calm himself. Meanwhile, she pulled him inside and closed the wooden frame with her foot, not daring to break suddenly intimate the connection.

"I was so scared." He quietly admitted, the heat of his breath tickling her ear as he rested in the crook of her neck, "I just saw Erwin- his arm was gone, and I'd wondered what happened to you and-"