Nineteen

"You'll have to excuse me

"You'll have to excuse me." Levi spoke to the Commander, who just nodded in return.

Levi and Eren left the room, breaking apart in the hall. Levi briskly made his way to the infirmary, his nerves skyrocketing with every passing step.

Why would she ask for me? As far as she knows, I can't stand her.

Levi knocked quietly, ignoring the thin layer of sweat that gathered in his palms, keep up the barricade, don't let her in.

"C-Come in." Amelia weakly stumbled.

He obeyed, closing the door behind him to give them privacy.

"So you're finally awake." He leaned against the frame, a large space separating them.

Figuratively and literally.

"I am." She stated curtly, her chest heavily rising and falling as she struggled to breathe.

He recognized the chamber, her bed center against the eastern wall. The room was plain, walls dark with a wooden floorboard. She sat up pitifully, her tiny frame clad in bandages. Her torso was exposed, only covered in the flimsy fabric. She was lazily slouching, bags apparent under her eyes despite the prolonged amount of time she'd had to rest.

Her curly locks stuck stubbornly to her damp glistening forehead, the disheveled appearance momentarily throwing Levi off.

"What did you want me for? I don't have all day." He spat, secretly thankful that she requested his presence.

She's okay.

"What happened?" She hesitantly asked, afraid of his reply.

"What do you remember?" He boredly waited for her as she furrowed her brow in concentration.

"I was with the squad and they- they," she choked back a sob, "it's my fault."

"No, it's not." He reassured her, careful of his tone.

Don't sound too caring; don't reveal the truth.

"It is; they were my orders." She cried, "why do I lose everyone? Am I some sort of bad luck or something?"