Fifty Nine

"-then I awoke in the barracks and was sent here

"-then I awoke in the barracks and was sent here." Amelia finished her meticulous elaboration, the group staring at her with several sets of wide, bewildered eyes.

She uncomfortably shifted in her wooden seat, an action resulted from the scrutinizing gazes that seemed to attentively scan her, "w-was there anything else you needed?"

"How many titans did you encounter on your way back?" Hange wondered, sending their glasses up the brim of their nose with an unintentional astuteness. Their chestnut ponytail glimmered with their movement, loose strands beautifully framing their face.

I missed them, she noted with a brief wave of happiness before granting an honest answer, "I'm not sure- I lost count after seventeen."

"You killed that many with your injuries?" Commander Pyxis sought confirmation, amazement evident on his aged features. Amelia accidentally lingered on his grey beard, which had crumbs residing within it.

She nodded in decorum, fingers interwoven on her lap as she nervously affirmed, "yes sir."

The room was utterly silent, everyone truly astonished at the battered, blatantly powerful woman in front of them. 

Levi watched as she fidgeted, her thumbs twirling on her thighs. Her ebony pupils intently browsed the crevices of the table, each individual ridge casting a small shadow over the territory. Her bangs swung in the air while she focused downward, short, surprisingly arranged curls elegantly swaying on her cheeks. 

She may have looked the same, but Levi could tell that there was something different with her. 

Though the question remained; why?

"Thank you for your time, Captain. You should return to the infirmary to undergo your surgeries." Zackley excused her with a seriousness in his timbre, forehead creased in an underlying formality.

"Yes sir." She repeated, grabbing her crutch and using her right arm to assist her movements as she exited the conference space.

Amelia felt Levi's steel irises pierce through her the entire way, causing her to suppress the urge to turn and meet him- even if she wanted to.