Sixty Nine

"Levi?"

"Levi?"

He remained still, completely unmoving. Was it real? Had he hallucinated, imagined the scenario altogether? Perhaps the nostalgia alluded such an ironic encounter, or the location added to a fantasy in rekindling a tainted emotional connection.

"You're here." Tears stung the corners of her hazel eyes, her shuddering disturbing the items in her grasp, "in our h-house."

No.

This wasn't a delusion.

A cowering man, Humanity's Strongest, collapsed on his knees with dry, stained cheeks of an uncharacteristically rosy complexion.

A broken woman, previously a soldier, standing by the door of his old private dwelling with a basket of freshly picked red apples.

They merely stared at one another for a few minutes, neither quite sure what to say in the midst of the initially awkward tension that encompassed their sentimental atmosphere.

"H-How- I mean, why-" She stammered, shoulders quivering and gaze firmly planted to the rotten wood paneling below.

What do I do? Is there anything to be said? I never thought that Levi would return to the underground- not in a million years. So why is he-

"Amelia." His simple confidence stunned her, Amelia's mind ceasing its rambling as she instinctively tensed.

"Y-Yeah?" She fearfully muttered, her throat arid and body entranced with fright.

"Why the hell did you leave?" He instantly questioned, though he surprisingly hadn't been harsh or coarse. In fact, his tone was rather gentle and volume low, calming in a peculiar way.

"I can't say."

"I see." He hadn't bothered to push her, "alright then, I'll stay until you're able-"