Eight

"Does everyone know the plan?" Farlan checked with his trio of companions, seeking confirmation

"We're going to lure the Scouts with our 'heist,' and find Erwin that way, correct?" Levi replied, clearly unenthused.

"Guys," Amelia felt tears tenaciously prick the corners of her eyes as she faced her family, "we're going to get out of here."

Isabel widely smiled at her kind sentiment, "yeah, and it only took us five years to do it!"

"Tch." Was all Levi was able to grant in response, his heart stirring from Amelia's innocent appearance as he suppressed the glow in his chest.

They carefully maneuvered through the buildings, noticing wasn't the scouts that had been chasing them. And once they'd had sight of the emerald horse patch on their tan jackets, their suspicions were confirmed.

"Where are they?" Isabel released a frustrated groan, small pieces of auburn hair tickling her cheeks.

"They'll come." Levi plainly reassured, though it sounded more like a statement.

After what seemed to be hours- but in reality was only fifteen minutes- soldiers from the Scout Regiment finally joined the hunt.

"It's about damn time." Amelia muttered under her breath, latching onto a decaying cobblestone roof.

"Everyone split up, avoid getting arrested!" Farlan barked his orders, his comrades obeying as they changed course to go in different directions.

Unfortunately, that strategy hadn't lasted long for any of them. First Isabel was captured, followed by Farlan, Amelia, and lastly, Levi, who had been taken by Commander Erwin Smith himself.

The towering blonde stood in front of the particularly scrawny man, observing him with close intensity. He hardly paid attention to the others that were being held captive behind the malnourished twenty four year old.

"How did you know how to use that ODM gear?" Erwin's voice powered through the near empty streets of town, the rich timbre both low and dominating.