Nine

I recently learned that Hange is in fact non binary! I will be using they/them pronouns when they're in the story, I hope it isn't confusing for you guys :) Also, if you see a part where I accidentally use the wrong pronoun for them, please let me...

I recently learned that Hange is in fact non binary! I will be using they/them pronouns when they're in the story, I hope it isn't confusing for you guys :) Also, if you see a part where I accidentally use the wrong pronoun for them, please let me know!

Enjoy!

"And now, the Scout Regiment embarks on the Twenty Third Expedition! I expect all of you to come back alive, soldiers!" Commander Smith shouted with conviction from the frontlines, the crowd howling with enthusiasm

With that, they left the gates of Wall Maria. The group from the underground stared in awe at the free world beyond the walls. They enjoyed the open plains and its beautiful, full trees.

Even with the cloudy sky that signaled a possibility of bad weather, it was a sight they had never seen before, including Amelia who originated somewhere from the aboveground.

"It's not bad." Levi mumbled.

"We should've completed our task before going out of the walls." Farlan groaned with regret.

"It'll be fine, Farlan. Don't take this the wrong way, but you worry too much." Isabel commented, "just relax some, would you?"

"Farlan doesn't have the capability for that." Amelia laughed.

"Assholes." Farlan muttered.

"I'll take care of the titans." Levi stated plainly, as if it were obvious as he changed the subject.

They did all seem to be anxious, despite their playful tone moments before. This of course still excluded Levi.

I will be strong like you, Levi, Isabel vowed.

I will fight like you, Levi, Farlan's inner voice rang.

I will be brave like you, Levi, Amelia thought.

Suddenly, they saw two soldiers from their squad slaughtered as a titan appeared; their bodies cut in half as the beast jaw clamped down, the sound of their bones crushing echoing the atmosphere. This forced them to react, as they had no other choice.