Fifty Four

It was rather difficult to imagine a world without titans

It was rather difficult to imagine a world without titans. Most never even attempted a seemingly pointless task. Levi himself hadn't; he simply was trying to survive for as long as possible. For him, it was second nature- what he was told by Kenny. The instinct was instilled into him from the very minute he was born.

It was simple: life was survival of the fittest.

Be as cruel and ruthless as you have to, do what it takes, no matter the cost- consequences were irrelevant, if you could get out of it. It doesn't affect you if someone else is harmed in the process, and if they blame you for all of their problems? Whatever. None of that shit would have made a discrepancy in your existence, so you may as well do what you have to. Don't get attached to anyone, no liabilities; only focus on yourself.

And most importantly: keep breathing.

That's what Levi was taught. It was the only goal one could have because everything else appeared inevitably unobtainable. Romantic notions such as happiness or love were foolish, or even categorized as utterly unrealistic.

Then, he met her.

That concerning frail twelve year old girl. The child who had peered up at him with wide, innocent hazel eyes; the tumultuous irises that effortlessly exuded the reluctance, agony, and despair that turbulently clouded within her.

However, he also noticed the stubborn lingering brightness that emanated from them.

The rare radiance came from something that Amelia was lucky to be able to find in a second instance, a transparent and naive ideal that was nearly impossible to come across in this chaotic world. An emotion Levi had never had the chance of feeling- that is, until she came. Honestly, he hadn't even known it was real.

But there she was.

She personally pulled him from the endless depths of hell, whether she knew it or not. He had been numb, lonely, and lost when he stumbled upon her. She provided him the an unwavering stability he so desperately needed; the singular shred of reason he had left to battle his demons.

And that was it; he finally found it.

Hope.

He was fortunate to have felt it, all thanks to her. It only grew overtime, into a monstrous beast which resulted in Levi actually looking forward, to the future.