Fifteen

Levi flew through the trees, hearing Eren's rambunctious roar throughout the forest

That isn't good, Levi worriedly thought as he tried to pinpoint the exact location of the sound.

He saw them.

He passed his fallen comrades with a dangerously dark expression. He immediately noticed their blood as it painted the trees red, dying grass crimson. His mind involuntarily pictured what it must've been like- adrenaline and panic on their faces, their last moments being filled with nothing except pain or fear. He could practically hear their cries, bones breaking at the will of the Female Titan. His shoulders suddenly grew heavy, his heart practically pounding in his ears.

His grey narrow eyes grew wide at the sight of the soldiers as he passed them, finally landing on Amelia.

He instantly flew to her, his throat writhing as he neared the grotesque scene.

She lay upright against the bark, chocolate hair scattered in a disorganized fashion. The curls stuck to her forehead like they did often, though this time it wasn't from sweat or water; it was blood.

Her cheeks that normally held a hint of pink were blanched, along with the rest of her tanned complexion. Her tempestuous irises had been hidden by her eyelids, lashes resting delicately on her faint freckles.

He wished he could've visited the ocean she held, at least one more time.

Even so, she was relaxed, almost seemed peaceful.

Meanwhile, he felt the weight grow suddenly heavier, chest constricting as his knees met with the ground. The area surrounding her pale skin was decorated in an all too familiar rouge.

When the smell of iron filled his nostrils, the wave of realization crashed into him that much harder- the reality sinking in as it became arduous to breathe. His lungs contorted painfully, struggling to get the air he so desperately needed.

"Captain." He choked out, "no."

He felt tears form in his emotionless eyes for the first time since Isabel and Farlan died, the initial shock lingering in his anguished gaze.