022; you just got served

。\|/ 。

chapter 22

you just got served

。/|\ 。

"Finn?? Hello?!" I reached up to open the doorknob which was thankfully unlocked.

I pushed the door open, seeing Finn seated on the edge of the bed with his face buried in his palms, breathing unsteadily. "Finn... what's wrong?" I gently walked over by his side.

"It's...I don't know how to do this." He cried. I frowned at the hint of anxiety in his tone. "It's his first birthday without her, I don't know what to do." He added.

"Hey, hey, It's alright." I gently swing my arm over his shoulder.

Finn curled up in my arms and cried onto my shoulder. "Hey, you're doing good. The kids are happy, the guests are having a good time, and Avery is having a blast. You're doing so good." I started to gently run my hand on his back.

"But she's not here, and she's going to miss a lot more birthdays." He started sobbing harder. I honestly wish I knew what to say...

"She isn't missing this." I spoke. "Millie loves the two of you, and she would never leave your side." I assured, now running my hand through Finn's curls in attempt to soothe his feelings.

"She is very proud of you, Finn. I know it." I said, now bringing him for an embrace. "You can't tell that." His voice trembles.

"Hey." I gently let go of him. "Look at me." I demand, urging Finn to meet my eyes. My heart shattered at the sight of his broken and pained state.

"I know so. Look at her– she made sure you are okay and not alone even after her death. I wish I have someone who loves me like that." I explained.

"Finn, you are doing so great." I smiled, reaching for his hands.

"Sometimes it takes a huge loss to remind you of what you care about the most. Sometimes you find yourself becoming stronger and wiser, better to deal with the next thing that comes along. Because life will always keep throwing shit at you." I explain.

"Finn, I cannot imagine how you must feel right now. But I do know that it takes time to heal. Take as long as you need, it's alright. and remember that you don't have to be tough every minute of every day. It's okay to let down your guard. In fact, there are moments when it's the best thing you can possibly do— as long as you choose your moments wisely." I added, feeling relieved to see Finn's tears slowly fade away.

"Thank you." His breath was shaky before jumping into an embrace.

"You're not alone, alright? You have a whole ass village with us and we will never leave you." I said, making Finn chuckle before we pull away.

"Were you uhm, looking for me??" He sniffles.

"Actually, Avery is. He's right outside with the kids." I said. "Thank you Y/N." He gives me a hug once more before getting up. "Nuh uh." I remark, causing Finn to look at me in confusion.