034; words are just words

。\|/。

chapter 34

words are just words

。/|\。

Finn

Not surprisingly, the kids have incredible insight beyond their years. Their advice is simply poignant, such as "don't compare yourself to others," "be with the people you love," and "spend more time doing things you love."

But my favorite ones came from my very own kid, "Don't cry because your eyes stings after and it hurts." and, "You don't hurt the people you love."

It's always easier to take words of advice from someone who is cute, right?

I've been getting used to just being me and Avery, which is getting better by the days. I'm just very lucky to have him as my kid.

He's very smart, and makes everything so much easier. For some reason, he just knows when I'm not feeling really well or doing good. And on ordinary days, he would just be his cute self and be adorable.

But today is no ordinary day. 

Today marks one year of Millie being gone. God, has it been that long already?

so I stood before the mirror, flatting out the crinkled parts of my blazer and getting ready to visit the cemetery.

"Dad! dad! I can't find my shoe!" Avery yelled from his room. I fixed myself up one last time before leaving the room, quickly stopping by in front of a framed photo of Mills.

"I'll see you later." I spoke before averting to the trouble with my son's shoe.

I took my keys and headed outside to heat up the engine. I had just hop on the driver's seat, before the silence in the driveway was interrupted.

"Finn." I heard a familiar voice speak from behind my car.

"What are you doing here?" I was surprised at the sight of Y/N before quickly turning back to start the engine. She's home already?!

"I'm sorry." I slam my door shut, standing on the road again.

"I was being insensitive and I didn't think of what I said." She admitted. I was actually kind of being all over the place that day too.

"I over reacted too, we're equal. Just forget everything I said." I blurt and open the door to the driver's seat. 

"No, you did not. You were simply looking after your son." She walked behind the door and faced me.

"I said we're good." I went to shut the door, only to be stopped by her hand. "You are strangely strong." I remark.

"It's cause I am." She sassed and pulled the door back open. 

"Are we, though? Are we good?" She asked. 

"You don't hurt the people you love." Avery's words kept repeating in my head before I took a deep breath and stared into Y/N's eyes.

"Yes, seriously. Let's just...forget about it. Cause I really don't want us to be like this." I admit. "Alright." She agreed. 

"Also, I just, I know we left things weird. You know what I mean. The thing I said, about you." I spoke.

"But, that was a mistake." I  added, she knew what I was talking about. 

"I was really mad, and nervous... and I just kinda freaked out and you were there, so... I didn't mean it." I  explained, avoiding to ramble any further. "Oh.."