Chapter 10

The weather was turning quickly, bringing crisp air and crunchy orange and red leaves. And while Gwen was excited for fall, she was even more excited for what it meant. Quidditch.

"Gwen!"

She looks up from her breakfast, smiling when Jonathan Wood appears in front of her already dressed in his uniform. He grins sheepishly and asks,

"Are you coming to the match today?"

"Wouldn't miss it," She replies, not missing the way Dorcas is looking at her suggestively. Jonathan smiles and says quietly, "Good. I was uh...I had an idea I wanted to run by you."

Gwen quirks a brow, waiting expectantly. He flushes under her critical eyes and continues nervously,

"I was wondering if you'd like to join me in Hogsmead next weekend."

She doesn't comprehend why he's all nervous. He doesn't even know her. She wants to say no, that she's busy. But he's looking at her so hopefully that she can't. Her voice is rather bland when she says,

"Win the match and you've got a deal."

Jonathan grins, winking at her before he takes off out of the great hall. Dorcas gapes at her, whispering, "You're going on a date with Jonathan Wood?"

"Unlikely. Potter is a far better captain and a brilliant seeker."

"Thank you, Ninnie!"

She peers over her shoulder, eyeing Sirius and James in their red and gold uniforms. She could admit the blue was definitely better, at least for her. She can practically feel Dorcas blushing, she was practically a secret member of the Marauders fan club.

"What are you doing with Wood?" Sirius' voice disturbs her train of thought. She quirks a brow, saying flatly, "Apparently I'm going to Hogsmead with him. If you don't win the match that is."

Sirius feels an unexplainable twist of anger. It only grows when James grins and teases, "Ninnie Whitlock, what a player you are. You've been snogging Wood?"

"No," She laughs, continuing like it's the most simple thing in the world, "He only wants to go out with me because I look different."

"He's a fucking moron."

James, Dorcas, and Gwen stare at Sirius in surprise. His outburst came out in a growl that left him before he could stop it. Sirius clenches his fists, insisting,

"He's a moron. Especially for a Ravenclaw."

"And what does that make me?" Her voice is teasing, her eyes glimmering with mirth. It's new, this part of Gwen that he gets to glimpse. Ever since their apologies in Astronomy, they'd both been more friendly. He feels himself smile, earning another surprised look from James he chooses to ignore.

"Dumb for a Ravenclaw but smart for a Hufflepuff," He says playfully, eyes soaking in the way her head falls back with her laughter.

"Don't say that in front of Lily, she practically worships hufflepuff now."

James' face falls and turns sour, even Dorcas noticing the change in the happy boy. In fact the brunette speaks up first, offering kindly, "I wouldn't worry about it, James. Word is Amos is a horrid kisser."

Gwen nods in agreement, saying, "Plus he's a bit short. I'm practically taller than him."

James chuckles, his smile having returned thanks to the girls words, "Everyone is taller than him."

Sirius claps his friend on the back and smiles encouragingly. Gwen notices the obvious affection, but doesn't say anything. He'd probably get mad at her again.

Instead, she waves goodbye as the boys leave to get ready, turning just as Sirius looks back to get a final glance at her. Jonathan Wood was definitely a moron.

Dorcas grins at her nonchalant friend, asking incredulously, "Do you not see what is going on here?"

Gwen looks up from we cereal, blinking rather dumbly. Dorcas sighs and pats her on the head, tutting, "You provide endless entertainment, Gwen."

"I'm glad," She says sarcastically, smiling at her friend. Dorcas chuckles and they gather their things, heading to the quidditch pitch.

Despite their blue and silver clothes, the pair sat amongst the Gryffindor's with Lily and Remus and Peter. Marlene was a wicked chaser for Gryffindor, another reason why Gwen wasn't too worried about Ravenclaw winning. 

Gryffindor was ahead 50 to 30, but Ravenclaw had the quaffel. Dorcas let's out a surprising cheer when Patrick Clearwater bats a bludger at another Gryffindor chaser trying to steal the quaffel.

Remus looks down at Dorcas in surprise, saying amusedly, "Dorcas I didn't realize you liked quidditch so much."

"She doesn't," Lily pipes up, smiling widely at her blushing friend. "She likes their beater."

Peter and Remus chuckle, nodding as Dorcas cries, "Shut up, Lily! You practically cry when Amos walks by!!"

Gwen laughs before turning back to the match. She gasps when another Ravenclaw beater intentionally clips the back of Marlene's broom with his bat and sends her spiraling.

"Foul! That's a bloody foul!!!" Gwen cries, in complete uproar with the rest of Gryffindor. Sirius glances over from where he's beating bludgers away from his team and grins when he spots outrage on the veela's face. It's the first time he's ever seen her really mad. A laugh bubbles out of him when he spies her hands thrown into the air.

He flies closer, just so he can hear her yelling at Madam Hooch and Ravenclaw. She has some choice words that seem to tantalize Lily, even Minerva McGonagall coming forward to say loudly,

"Miss. Whitlock! Please!"

"Professor, this is an abomination!" She cries, "He could've knocked Marlene straight off her broom!!"

Just as Sirius goes to fly even closer and says something to her—say anything to her to keep her eyes sparkling with fire— Jonathan Wood zooms over and laughs,

"Whitlock! Quit rooting for the other team!"

Sirius grows angry, feeling sick at the sound of her last name coming from him. He's a git, a complete tosser. Gwen smiles widely and replies,

"Quit letting your team play dirty, Wood. Or our deal is off."

He smiles ruefully and waves her off, teasing, "Quit distracting me so I can find the snitch and take you on a date."

Sirius' grip grows tighter on his bat, deciding the next bludger that flies his way his headed straight for the Ravenclaw twat.

Gwen smirks, her arms crossed over her chest. She can feel Lily and Dorcas and Peter and Remus gawking at her as she says, "You've missed the bloody thing 5 times."

Jonathan looks at her disbelieving, but the follows her gaze up. There, right in the middle of the pitch, is a flash of gold.

"James!" Sirius yells, trying to get his attention. It's too late, Jonathan grabs the snitch and the Ravenclaw stands erupt in cheers.

Sirius' blood boils. He's so pissed off that he's not sure what is bothering him the most. He flies close to the stands where the Veela sits laughing. Her smile fades when she sees the fury on Sirius' face.

"What—"

"Fuck you, Whitlock," He spits, flying away as soon as it's out of his mouth. Gwen blinks in surprise, Peter and Remus looking much the same.

"What did I do?" She wonders curiously, her brow furrowed.

Lily and Dorcas make very brief, meaningful eye contact.

The blonde was in for it now.