Chapter 182

"You're looking quite dapper, Mr. Black."

Sirius grunts irritably, pulling at the tie around his neck. One thing he hadn't missed about Hogwarts was wearing a sodding tie.

Gwen grins at his discomfort, not missing the way his eyes slip down to linger on her skirt. She bites back a laugh, saying calmly, "I didn't realize that my legs were so captivating."

Her breath catches when his eyes slowly raise to meet her gaze, his stare even as he shrugs and replies lowly, "It not your legs I'm thinking about, Gwenyth."

The sound of her name on his lips leaves her soul vibrating. She presses her hands to her skirt, smoothing down the fabric in an attempt to conceal her shaking hands. The tension between her and Sirius was growing warmer, like the sun beating down on her until she'd be forced to take a drink of cool water, to taste satisfaction, quench the thirst drying her throat.

Sirius quirks a brow at her, his lips quirking up slightly when she mutters, "Don't be crass. We're working."

He grins, straightening up when he earns a bony elbow to his side. Gwen smiles at the newcomers approaching them in the bustling Ministry. Sirius wasn't new to the building, but he was new to these people. He eyes the group of three cautiously, his brow raising in surprise when Gwen says flatly,

"You must be the Longbottoms."

The girl, short in stature, stares silently at the Veela, her mouth gaping in surprise. The man standing next to her clears his throat, his sweater vest an unfortunate shade of yellow against his pink tinged skin. Sirius shoots the girl by his side an irritated look when Gwen shakes the man's hand, her voice still blasé as she speaks, "Frank, I'm assuming?"

Frank Longbottom was a spindly man, not much older than the two teenagers standing before him, though his hair was already growing sparse at the top. His wife had short, dark hair that curled around her ears and a nose that seemed to be permanently pink. They made a very cute couple, a stark contrast in height leaving them to look a little odd. But the lines on their faces told Sirius that they were friendly, young but aged by war.

"Y-Yes! It's a pleasure, Miss. Whitlock!!!" Frank stutters, averting his gaze from the Veela when he notes Sirius standing grumpily by her side. Gwen smiles, waving a hand in an effort to ease the nerves of the two young people before her.

"Gwen is fine, Frank. This is your wife, Alice?"

He nods his head rapidly, gesturing for the pixie haired girl to step forward. She flushes a deep red and whispers, "Apologies! I've just never seen a Veela up close before."

Sirius bristles at her words, not liking the attention brought to Gwen's status. But he suddenly feels a warm sensation in his mind, pulling away his anger. He shakes his head in an attempt to be rid of her charm, but finds that he's far more relaxed when she muses, "Hopefully I meet your expectations. Now, Alastor, if we may continue."

The last man, a rather burly wizard with a peg leg and scars painting the skin of his face mutters gruffly, "Yes, Gwen. Right this way."

Sirius looks at the Veela in surprise, his head cresting through the waves of serenity as he mutters, "Who are these people?"

"Pardon my manners," Gwen says plainly, grasping Sirius' hand and following after the grumpy looking wizard. Alice and Frank Longbottom fall in step next to the Veela, both of them flushing as she says, "Sirius, Alice and Frank Longbottom are the auror department's most promising up and comers. Alice, Frank, this is my boyfriend. Sirius Black."

Frank quirks a brow at the last name, saying nervously, "As in—"

"Yes," Sirius interrupts. "My birthright isn't exactly a point of pride."