Chapter 166

Sirius smiles behind the Witch Weekly grasped firmly in his hands, glancing at where Gwen and Regulus sit cross legged on the floor of James' room.

Remus and Reggie had taken to sharing the guest room the floor above, both getting flushed and awkward when they'd first realized that Mia had arranged it for the two of them. Remus had attempted to refuse, but they'd ended up together anyway. The teens still met in James' room, lounging on the gold and red rug that reminded Sirius of the Gryffindor common room

James sits besides Gwen, peering over her shoulder at the chess pieces before them. Regulus and Remus have the other side, a collection of white pieces growing by Regulus' knee. Gwen was certainly better than James at chess, but the Slytherin was well practiced.

The Veela purses her lips, lifting the Queen to her ear and listening quietly to the tiny piece whisper a plan. James shakes his head when he hears bits and pieces, complaining, "She's wrong! Ninnie, do what I told you!"

Sirius smirks when Regulus snorts and rolls his eyes. His little brother had beaten him enough times for Sirius to know that he would certainly win.

Gwen shrugs and nods, setting the Queen back down. She moves her rook, staring at Regulus as he takes in her move. Remus smiles slightly, glancing at his boyfriend. Regulus grows twitchy under her pale eyes, silently wishing she would quit looking at him. Gwen doesn't comply with his wordless request, her unblinking gaze stuck to him.

Sirius nearly chokes on a laugh when his little brother finally says grumpily, "Merlin, Gwen! You're creeping me out!"

"Apologies, Little," She replies boredly, shrugging indifferently when he grumbles something under his breath. His eyes suddenly light up and his bishop moves forward, claiming yet another one of the Veela's white pieces.

James groans, covering his face while shaking his head. His hands slide to his hair, tugging anxiously while he asks, "Isn't having sex with a Veela supposed to give you good luck?!"

Remus freezes, looking up at James incredulously. Sirius sits up, feeling a twinge of irritation with James and a rather sudden sensation of fear. The way he asked the question sounded bad.

But the Veela tilts her head, glancing over her shoulder and musing curiously, "James, you do realize that you and I have not had sex?"

"Duh," James deadpans, and Sirius can take in a little bit more air. He ignores the knowing smirk from Regulus when he asks irritably, "Why the fuck would you ask that then?!"

James huffs, explaining pointedly, "Because you're my best mate, and you've had sex with Gwen. Ergo, you have good luck, which means that I too have good luck!"

Remus stares at James in astonishment, Regulus merely quirking a bemused brow. Sirius blinks before turning to Gwen and saying firmly,

"Je crois qu'il est devenu fou."
{I think he's gone crazy.}

Regulus chokes on a laugh, eyes flying to Gwen. Her lips twitch, a wry smile blooming on her face so beautifully that Sirius has to remind himself to breathe. Her voice is dripping with amusement when she replies, "What do you think, Snuffles? Feeling lucky?"

Sirius can't resist his own smile, wondering to himself if she is at all offended by James' statement. She doesn't seem to be. If anything, she's amused. Curious even. He chews on his cheek, wishing he hadn't turned so soft when he answers, "I've been lucky since the day we met."

James rolls his eyes, Regulus grimacing at the sappiness of the statement. Remus elbows him harshly, the boys freezing when Gwen says with mirth, "Perhaps you're the good luck charm, Sirius."