Chapter 156

Sirius lifts his head and glares at the large ticking clock, a sour expression taking over his face.

It was his last exam, and though he was glad, there was some underlying bitterness that was taming his excitement. He glances over at where Gwen is sitting before quickly looking away.

She was like the sun, bright and shiny and hard to look at. Because he was seconds away from leaving the Great Hall with her slung over his shoulder and demanding that they finish what they'd started the day before.

He knew he wasn't the only one frustrated, he'd noticed her glancing at him frequently at breakfast. But neither was willing to lose the game they were playing. Especially since it was rooted in an anger with one another that he knew was still simmering.

He sneaks another glance at her, nearly cursing out loud when he sees her sneakily slip an acid pop past her lips. A complete tease, without even knowing it.

"Mr. Black, please keep your eyes forward."

Sirius hurriedly returns his gaze to his exam, cheeks warming slightly. He knows that Gwen is looking at him now, he can practically feel it. But he does as he's asked and focuses on the task at hand, his eyes zeroing in on his last question. He quickly looks up at Professor Sinastra, wondering if she'd done such a thing on purpose.

His heart grows warm when he stares at the map on his parchment, his finger coming to trace a familiar constellation. Vela. The first one he'd taught Gwen about. His lips twitch as he begins to write about the family of constellations.

Heavenly Waters. He eagerly labels them, scrawling the history of their stories, the epics that brought the stars to life in humans eyes in Ancient Rome and Greece, and even before then. His favorite family of stars used to be the Orion Family, purely because he was apart of it. It was the only family he'd ever felt he was a part of. Though now he sought out crashing waves and spritely beings.

His heaven was her.

He's only thrown from his writing when Gwen stands and brings her exam to the front, handing it to their Professor. A few quiet words are shared between them before she makes her way out of the great hall, a rather pleased smile on her face. And Sirius can't help but grin. She'd done it, she'd passed astronomy. Or had done well enough to pass. He could swear it, just from the way her steps had an extra little bounce.

He hurries to finish up his essay, his affection for the girl that had come to like his favorite subject driving him to rapidly scrawl words across the parchment. He moves to stand when he's finished, scrambling out from behind his desk and rushing to the front.

Professor Sinastra hides her smile well, asking curiously, "How do you think you did, Sirius?"

He grins and shrugs, deciding against a smug reply this one time. Instead he wonders, "Did Gwen—"

"You've been requested to attend a meeting in the Headmaster's office," The Professor interrupts, avoiding his confused gaze as she ads his exam to the pile of ones yet to be graded. "I believe you'll know the password. Miss Whitlock said you rather liked the sweet as well, despite pretending not to."

Sirius' quirks a brow but offers a slow nod. He goes to leave the great hall, but stops short when Professor Sinatra murmurs, "And please do be discreet."

Sirius nods slowly before setting off, his lips turned into a confused frown as he walks down the quiet corridors of the castle. It takes him longer than he'd like to get to the right floor. He had to hide from peeves and wait for the staircases to shift again, his impatient cursing doing nothing to hurry them along.

He suspects that this meeting has to do with the Order, particularly when he stumbles upon his group of friends staring at the gargoyle that hides the stairs to the Headmaster's office. He walks up next to James and Marlene and Lily, biting back a smile as Remus, Dorcas and Regulus all argue.

"It has to have a password!" Regulus cries, "Otherwise people would be able to go in there all of the time!"

"Gwen never uses a password," Remus refutes. "Why would there be one now?!"

Dorcas rolls her eyes, insisting frustratedly, "Gwen doesn't have to use a password! The bloody statue likes her!"

"It's a statue!!!" Remus and Regulus yell in unison, the latter exclaiming, "How can a statue like someone?? It's an inanimate object, Dorcas!"

Sirius rolls his eyes, scooting past a very scandalized looking Peter as the group of three continue to bicker. Sirius stares at the statue, tilting his head to the side. Professor Sinastra's hint dawns on him and he grins, clearing his throat and saying calmly, "Acid Pop."

Dorcas' jaw drops when the Gargoyle steps to the side, Remus' cheeks growing pink in embarrassment. Regulus quickly defends himself to his older brother, arguing, "We would have gotten there eventually!"

"Sure, Reggie," Sirius admonishes, smirking to himself as he leads the group of teenagers up the spiraling stairs. For some it was their first time in the office, their eyes full of wonder at the sight of trinkets and portraits they'd never seen before. Lily looks longingly towards a stack of books, Remus and Dorcas following suit to peer at the covers.

James and Peter snicker and shove each other towards things that are certainly breakable as they move deeper into the office, though the crew stops short at a rather peculiar sight that greets them.

Gwenyth Whitlock is leaned back in a rather large chair, her feet propped up casually on the desk. James laughs  when they all realize that Gwen is comfortably lounging in the headmaster's chair behind his desk. Though it's the Phoenix sitting comfortably on her head that has Sirius blinking in confusion.

He can't resist grinning in disbelief when the Veela simply says, "Oh good. You're here."

"Gwenyth!!!!" Dorcas cries anxiously, Lily joining in and whisper yelling, "Get out of Dumbledore's chair!!!"

"Why?" Gwen questions, quirking a brow at the flustered girls. "Did you want to sit?"

Dorcas slaps a hand to cover her face and Marlene lets out a loud laugh. The Ravenclaw doesn't even look as she shoves an elbow into Marlene's side, her voice exasperated as she mutters, "We're going to be expelled before we've even finished our last year."

"Not necessary, Miss. Meadows."

The Ravenclaw grows stiff, her eyes practically falling out of her head when the Headmaster suddenly appears. He stands calmly behind his chair, peering over his glasses at his Phoenix that is perched so calmly on Gwen's head.

Sirius feels a familiar bit of anger, bitterness that the reason Gwen isn't safe is because of this wizard. When he glances at Gwen he's surprised to find her already looking at him, as if she knew what he was thinking. She merely quirks a brow, and then the Phoenix climbs up onto the back of the chair she's occupying, allowing her to rise from her seat and move to the side.

Dumbledore and her share a few quiet words that  Sirius can't hear enough to understand, though he wishes Gwen would come to stand by him instead of the wizard that had put her in danger so many times.

Dumbledore takes his seat moments later, smiling warmly as he wonders, "Would anyone like a sweet?"

Gwen wrinkles her nose, her eyes rolling dramatically. Evidently the Veela was growing impatient, Sirius could tell by the way she was anxiously picking at the skin around her nails. He opens his mouth to say something, but Gwen speaks first, her tone flat as she says,

"He's meant to be telling you about the Order."

Dumbledore sighs and looks at her disapprovingly, though Remus is the first of the confused students to ask curiously, "What's the Order, Ninnie?"

The Veela grins at her being counterpart, her eyes briefly glancing at a very stony looking Sirius before she turns back to Remus and answers calmly,

"It's a chance."

{{{oooooooooo!!!!! Things are picking up now—hopefully you guys enjoyed!}}