Chapter 121

{{I CANT STOP}}

Sirius grins at the sight that lay before him, a snort escaping him before he can stop it,

"Looking good McKinnon."

Marlene scowls and flips him off, grunting as she tugs at the material around her waist, "I fucking hate this dress, but Dorcas likes it. Bloody Ravenclaws."

He bites back another laugh, eyeing the light pink chiffon. Bloody Ravenclaws indeed. His smile grows when the girl they're referring to appears, looking quite content in her light yellow gown. The colors looked more ready for a garden party, but it was oddly fitting for the pair. Sirius holds his glass up in acknowledgement, saying honestly, "Dorcas, you look beautiful."

The brunette blushes and waves away the compliment, asking, "Have you seen James? Mia is looking for him. She's ready to give her review of Lily."

Sirius chuckles and asks, "What's the verdict?"

Dorcas smiles and replies softly, "They love her. Fleamont and Mia. Lily was practically glowing she was so happy to meet them. Petunia was rather horrid to her over the holiday so she's been a tad nervous."

Sirius nods, eyes seeking out the older potters. He grins when he sees Lily Evans gesturing wildly while talking to them both. Mia glances up and winks in his direction. His smile fades slightly, easily imagining a blunt and familiar blonde taking Lily's place in front of the people he considers his parents. He shakes his head and turns back to see that Peter and Remus and Regulus have joined them.

Mia had thrown quite the New Years Eve Party. She'd cleared out the Potter's house with magic that Sirius didn't even attempt to understand. She'd insisted that the boys and Fleamont stay out of the way and let her work.

It had been worth her grumpiness. There was gold and white and hints of silver and black that truly made it seem like one of the pureblood balls he'd been forced to attend. Though this one was fun, not stuffy. There was no politics or potential fights. Just easy laughter and smiles. Fleamont had introduced Sirius and James to some of his colleagues and he had been forced to interact with some of their daughters. But beyond that, it had been smooth sailing.

Regulus and Remus stand shoulder to shoulder, murmuring something he can't hear. Though part of that is due to Peter munching loudly in his ear. He sighs exasperatedly, turning to his friend and pointing out, "If you would take smaller bites, you wouldn't have to gasp for air while chewing, wormtail."

Peter mumbles around his mouthful, "Piss off, Padfoot. These things are delicious."

Sirius snorts and rolls his eyes, smirking when Regulus grunts, "Our mother would shit herself if you did that at our awful parties, Pete."

Peter laughs when Sirius adds, "Our mother would shit herself if she knew your date was a lad."

Regulus chuckles, nodding in agreement while Remus sighs tiredly and shakes his head. The lanky marauder quirks a brow and asks confusedly, "Where the hell is James?"

Marlene shrugs, saying, "No clue. We've been looking for him."

Peter tilts his head, saying like it's obvious, "He's just over there, you daft buffoons."

Sirius peers across the room in the direction Peter is pointing, his eyes finding James. His stomach drops when he sees what it is he's doing. Or rather who he is talking to. The room sounds like it's underwater, his mouth runs dry.

Gwenyth Whitlock, here and looking so stunning it physically pains him.

His eyes hungrily soak in the Veela chatting calmly with his friend. She's dressed in a blue dress that's so dark it nearly looks black. It's conservative in structure, the sleeves reaching her wrists and the neckline resting at the base of her throat. But he can tell that every man has realized that she is here the same moment as he has, the soft fabric clinging to her too perfectly to ignore. He could fall to his knees at the very sight of her, safe from harm and undeniably magnetic.

His heart throbs when he hears her distant laugh, when he sees her brush away a loose lock of hair. His feet stutter to life and he shoves past his friends. She's here. Living, breathing. In the flesh, not just a picture or a ring or a patronus. It's really her.

As he approaches he catches the tail end of her hushed conversation with James,

"I'm sorry I'm late, I came as soon as I—"

She stops abruptly, her eyes widening slightly at the boy that appears behind James. Sirius bites back a curse at the sight. Her eyes. Her pale eyes lined in dark shadows that make her look dangerous. Sexy. He remembers where he is, where they stand, and his lungs finally take in some air.

James smirks and says cheekily, "Padfoot! You're looking dashing—"

"Piss off," Sirius says, not even looking at his friend. He has eyes only for the ethereal being in front of him. He feels a surge of triumph when her cheeks tinge pink. James snorts and gives the Veela's arm a gentle squeeze before leaving to greet more of his parent's guests.

Then there were two.

Gwen turns to face Sirius and blinks, exhaling the breath she's been holding as she says simply,

"There you are."

She's not sure what to expect, she didn't know what she would be walking into. She just knew that she had to see him. She needed to know he was safe because the nightmares she had of the people laying dead in the streets seemed to morph into his face the longer they were apart. As soon as she'd gotten home she'd written James, receiving a swift reply the same day. Gwen swallows past the lump in her throat and nonchalantly wipes her sweaty palms on her dress.

Her air leaves her when his arms lash out faster than she can think and he pull her into his chest. His grip is like iron around her and Gwen nearly weeps in relief. Her hands fist the back of his dress robes and her eyes clench shut. Every word she wants to say dies in her throat. She didn't realize how much she needed this until now, how badly she needed the reassurance of his strength. She'd felt weak just the day before, but he made her feel strong.

Sirius breathes out, stirring the few stray hairs from her pulled up hair, "Ninnie." A quiet declaration, of what neither were sure. He squeezes her tighter, his arms wrapped completely around her waist. She feels fragile in his arms, but he knows her tact makes her stronger than anyone. He mutters against the skin below her ear, savoring the dizzying scent of jasmine,

"Je t'attendais." [I was looking for you.]

She laughs quietly, one of her hands snaking up to rest on the back of his neck. She squeezes gently, pressing her skin into his muscle as if to check that he's real.

"J'ai pensé à vous à chaque instant." [I thought of you every minute.]

Sirius smiles slightly, though it begins to fade when she moves to pull back. He reluctantly loosens his grip, staring at her passive face as she says quietly, "I should go greet Mia and Monty."

Doubt simmers within both of them. They were both unsure, both intimidated by the emotional distance that lay between them. A mountain of tension and regret and fear. Gwen hesitates, timidness taking over her voice as she asks, "Do you...will you come with me?"

The tense line between his brows softens. He swallows and nods, replying simply so as to not sound too eager, "Yes."

Her lips twitch into a small smile, and if he were braver he would kiss her right then. But he knows they have much to talk about. He hesitates, staring down at her as his arms return to his side. Though his heart attempts to escape from his chest when she grabs his hand and places it on her back before beginning to walk. She smiles to herself when she feels his fingers twitch as they move towards his adoptive parents.

They had much to talk about, but this was a rather good place to start.