Chapter 118

Gwen stomps her feet together, growing irritable as Dumbledore stands patiently outside the door of a leaning house.

She sighs and asks, "Who is it we're waiting on, Professor?"

5 days. 5 days of travel and bone chilling cold and conversations.

She loved it.

From the moment they first set foot in Bulgaria, Gwenyth knew she was doing the right thing. That much was proven when she and Dumbledore successfully warned a large village of Veela that they feared would be attacked. Gwen was stunned by the kinship she felt to the women, stunned by the differences between them.

She'd never seen Veela besides her mother, and had certainly not expected to see brunette or burgundy hair. Perhaps she'd been foolish to assume that Veela only had hair like her own. Though no literature said otherwise. She was pleased to find that they all shared similar eyes, pale variations of blue and grey. She was also pleased and very amused that Dumbledore seemed rather uncomfortable around them. He was happy to have left the village of women and continue traveling Northern Europe.

The Headmaster turns to face her, saying quietly, "The man we are about to speak to lost something long ago that I am currently in possession of. He is of no harm to us. Not unless he becomes aware of his lost prize. Are you capable of wandless magic, Gwenyth?"

The Veela blinks at him in surprise. Up until now, he had been calm, serene. There had been little danger or risk, they'd only traveled from Village to village to pick up on any rumors of Lord Voldemort and to warn those living there. She'd been scared they would be too late, but the recruitment and capture of Vella had seemingly diminished over night. Now however, Dumbledore seemed very serious. Composed, but apprehensive.

Gwen nods quickly, replying in a hushed voice, "Yes, sir... but I've never tried to duel without my wand."

Dumbledore smiles and says warmly, "It shouldn't come to that. We'll keep our wands hidden for the time being. Do excuse his curiosity however, he may be rather inclined to ask you some questions."

Gwen blinks confusedly, going to ask another question, but then the door of the home opens. Dumbledore turns to face a wizard with white hair and a bushy beard, saying happily, "Mykew. A pleasure to see you."

The man grumbles, stepping aside to wave them in, "Could you have been any more obvious?! No one knows I have a residence here! Come in before someone sees!"

Gwen hurries in after Dumbledore, her eyes appraising the house as she enters. She blinks at the stacks of boxes before turning to see a rather large work bench with large lights and tools. Her lips twitch. She knows who this is.

She turns to face the wizard and extends a hand, saying simply, "Mr. Gregorovitch."

He stares at her, like he's suddenly realized that Dumbledore has a traveling companion. His eyes widen and he ignores her introduction, asking briskly, "Veela?"

"Perhaps we could sit before you interrogate the girl," Dumbledore muses. Gwen smiles faintly, not at all intimidated by the Wandmaker studying her carefully. She appreciated someone dedicated to their craft, and found that he looked rather kind in the eyes. He nods once and gestures for them to follow him deeper into his house.

He sits down at the table, Gwen and Dumbledore following suit as he wandlessly waves his hand. Gwen watches curiously as glasses appear on the table, slowly filling with a steaming drink she doesn't recognize. It smells like honey and spices, but she waits for Dumbledore to drink his first. She follows suit when she sees that he hasn't been poisoned yet, finding that the drink tastes as good as it smells. She smiles and takes another eager sip, tuning out the Wizards chatting. She hesitates briefly before quickly grabbing a cookie from a plate the wandmaker conjured.