Chapter 127

{{snuck in a quick update between exams!}}

Gwen lets out a scream yet again when Sirius suddenly dips the broom they're perched on lower amongst the trees.

He cackles loudly while Gwen smacks his arm repeatedly, yelling, "Quit doing that!"

She'd barely agreed to playing this sodding game, and had quickly regretted it. James whips around them in circles, zipping away when the bludger comes towards them. Gwen flinches, but Sirius effortlessly bats it away.

Slowly, she'd become comfortable enough to lean away from him. In fact he was impressed how laid back she looked...when he didn't move suddenly that is.

Gwen relaxes again when the bludger flies away, swinging her boot covered feet in the air. Sirius smirks and says playfully, "Ready to score a goal?"

Gwen scoffs and quirks a brow, replying, "I hardly think—"

"Ninnie, think fast!!"

She lets out a yelp of surprise when Regulus tosses her the quaffle before taking off. She cant hold back the laughter that bubbles from her chest when Sirius begins speeding towards James and Peter and Remus' makeshift goal between two leafless trees, her hair whipping her face and the wind stinging her nose with cold.

Sirius laughs too, pulling her closer so the quaffle sits between them, protected as James begins to fly their way. He feels a thrill of excitement, a rush of gratefulness that he gets to experience something he loves with her. He feels most free like this, soaring through the air with nothing but the clouds above them.

The only thing that compares is her. Breathing her in like the crisp winter air gives him a glimpse of freedom when he can't fly or is feeling trapped.

Gwen leans her chin on his shoulder and he relishes the song of her laughter as he maneuvers them around Remus and towards the goal, cheering, "Go, Inferi!"

Gwen grins widely and leans back enough to pitch the quaffel just before Remus speeds over to intercept it. He's too late, the quaffle goes through and Sirius and Regulus erupt in cheers. She feels an embarrassing amount of pride, especially when Regulus crows loudly, "Team Black has won the cup!!!"

Sirius hugs the blushing Veela to his chest, smirking over her shoulder as Remus chases after Regulus, the two of them shouting obscenities at each other as James and Peter watch on, nearly falling from their brooms with laughter.

His smile softens when she leans back enough for him to see her pretty eyes, her faint smile. She blinks at him before saying quietly, "I get it now."

Sirius tilts his head slightly in confusion, his hands moving to hold the broomstick behind her back as they float peacefully in the air. She laughs at his perplexed expression, repeating, "I get it. Flying. I get why you like it."

Sirius heart turns to mush when she continues, saying contentedly,

"It's your beach."

When the world was dark or it all became a bit too much, she had her refuge, her beach. And Sirius had the sky, the stars, and the wind that whispers songs in the ears of those willing to listen. It makes sense now, why he loves quidditch so much.

Sirius' throat grows tight, his voice sounding choked when he whispers, voice nearly as rushed as his thoughts, "What are we?

He had to know. Especially now, especially when she says things that reveal things about him that he doesn't tell anyone. She sees him. Maybe it was dumb, asking her such an important question when they were floating precariously on a broom that she could merely push him off of instead of answering his sappy questions. But he was desperate. He needed her to walk him through this next part. He needed her to hold his hand, to spell out what it is they were doing. Where they stood.