Chapter 69 - Mid-Season Draft, Carlton

*July, 2016*
Adeline -

'That was so exhausting' I say to Stephen, as I lean back in my spinny chair and face him.

'The trade periods always are, and with this new mid season thing they're doing every year, it's crazy' Stephen says.

'I thought it would be like a few players to a few clubs, not an entire draft!' I exclaim.

'Yeah, I don't see the point in it either. Oh well, at least we managed to snag a few players. We really should have gone after that Gippsland kid though. I kind of regret not pursuing that' Stephen says, as he types something on his laptop.

'Oh yeah, what's his name? The dogs got him...Dunkley?' I say. Stephen nods.

'Yeah, Josh Dunkley. Son of Sydney fame of hall player Andrew Dunkley' Stephen says.

'Who was our best steal of the lot? I thought I was gonna faint at one point' I say.

'Probably Zac Fisher. He's quite small and fast and can be quite impactful' Stephen says. I nod.

'That's good, I should go down and speak to him, congratulate him again. I'm gonna go on break. When I come back, do you want a coffee or anything?' I ask.

'Nah, that's alright Adeline. I've gotta go over to Docklands anyway, so take a 15 minute break in case anyone calls' Stephen says. I nod as I leave the room and walk down to the foyer/cafe.

'Hey' I say, as I see my brother.

'Hey Linny. Everyone's getting around the new kid' Lachie says. I look as I see all the players outside on the field, messing Zac Fisher's hair up and congratulating him.

'You can thank me for that. I worked tirelessly to turn West Coast away' I say, sighing as I go up to the cafe and order a drink.

'I can't believe you got a job here. You're working with Stephen Silvagni. Are you a wizard?' Lachie asks, nudging me. I laugh.

'It's called skill and luck, Lachie. Mainly luck though. It's any wonder Jack and Olivia didn't completely trash me out' I say.

'I don't think Jack's like that' Lachie says, as somebody suddenly catches my eye.

I look over as Olivia Silvagni hides near the entrance to the oval, staring intensely at Zac. I nudge Lachie and nod in her direction. He rolls his eyes.

'She's up to something' I say.

'I don't know how she gets access here. I can't even get my own mother in here during a training session' Lachie says.

'She would be happy with that though, right? She's a big Collingwood fan, Lachie' I say.

'I couldn't tie her over to GWS, but she now proudly wears her Carlton scarf since her two kids work here' Lachie says.

'She knows I work here?' I ask.

'Well, yeah. I told her. She also follows your public Instagram account' Lachie says.

'Remind me to check up on that later' I say, as I turn my attention back to Olivia.

She's pressed up against the wall in the corridor, keeping her eyes fixed on Zac. I also notice she's got a death grip on her phone.

Lachie and I suddenly jump as something wet hits us.

'You idiots!' I yell, turning around and shaking myself off as Paddy Dow looks at me sheepishly. Cam Polson rolls his eyes.

'Why don't you have Gatorade fights out on the grass?' Lachie asks.

'Because the coach will kill us' Paddy says, as he suddenly shoots more Gatorade at Cam, who races down the hall. Paddy follows him.