Chapter 6 - Woolworths, Drysdale Villiage

Adeline Isobel's POV:

Ah, the joys of a Saturday morning; being able to sleep in for as long as you want.

I wonder what that feels like.

"Adeline, are you ignoring me?" Andrea asks, as she opens the cupboard door and peers in at me, from where I'm sleeping on the deflated air mattress on the floor.

"Mm" I mumble, as I roll over, covering my eyes from the light.

"Excuse me?" Andrea asks. I'm struggling to stay awake. I'm so exhausted from work and school and the sexual assault, so much so that I don't think it's actually humanly possible for me to get up today. I'm in hibernation mode.

"Tired" I groan, as I bury myself down in my thin blanket. Andrea rips it off me, and then slaps my face incredibly hard, getting the corner of my eye with her fingernail. I cry out loud. That poor eye has got a beating from nails this week.

"Get the fuck out of bed right now, you little slut" she orders. This only entices me to stay in bed longer.

"Time?" I ask, hoping it's actually a reasonable hour, like 9 or 10.

"6am" Andrea says. I groan.

"What is wrong with you?" I ask, rolling onto my back and stretching.

"We're going to the cafe early today, now GET UP" she orders. I ignore her.

She tries picking me up by my shoulders, but I somehow manage to slip back into bed. She screams, before disappearing.

I must've feel asleep again, because next thing I know, I'm waking up to icy water being poured all over my body.

I jump out of bed as I check the time on my phone - 6:15am.

It's too early for this shit.

There's only one person in the family that somewhat supports me and helps me, and that's my stepbrother's fiancé, Sandra, and when she comes in, I'm not expecting her to yell at me.

"What's going on? I heard the yelling" Sandra says, smoothing out her fake curls that are stiff from too much hair product.

Bleh, I hate that stuff. It shall never touch my hair.

"Someone thinks it's normal to wake a person up at 6am on a Saturday for no good reason" I say, trying to dry my now wet hair with my sheet. It doesn't work.

"I told you last night we were going into the cafe early this morning" Andrea lies from the kitchen.

"You did not!" I exclaim, expecting Sandra to take my side anyway.

"I'm so very sorry that Adeline woke you up with the yelling, Sandra" Andrea says sweetly. It makes me want to throw up, watching her bat her eyelids like that.

Honestly, my dad must be blind to like whatever it is he sees in her.

"You were the one doing all the yelling, I was asleep" I say, putting an old adidas jacket that once belonged to my brother on.

"I definitely heard you yelling, Adeline" Sandra lies.

"Well, I don't know how, because I was asleep. I screamed when I had ice poured on me" I say.

"Sandra, don't even pretend to be nice to Adeline today, I'm not in the mood. She deserves hell." Andrea says. I stand there in the doorway of my room/cupboard, mouth opening and closing without anything coming out.

"And it's hell she shell receive. I'm sick of her coming next door in tears, faking bruises with makeup and complaining about everything non stop" Sandra says, and her words are a knife between the shoulder blades.