Chapter 47 - Mental Health Unit, Geelong Hospital

Cassie -

"Get inside!" I whisper at my son, who glares at the GP's door and doesn't move.

"I think Adeline's calling me! Yeah, my phone is ringing. I'll be right back" Charlie says, turning to go down the hall.

"Oh no, it's not your phone. I deliberately made a point of locking that in the glove box to avoid distraction" I say, guiding him back to the door.

"Jesus, mum!" Charlie whines.

"We can stand here all day Charles, but either way we're not leaving until you go in" I say.

"You are so rewarding me for this" he says, before breathing in and opening the door.

...

Adeline Isobel Plowman -

"The party is over, Ed. Go home"

Zaine and I watch as Ed roughly shoves Ed backwards at the back of the Geelong station. Ed, shocked, puts his arms up.

"I didn't mean it! If I did something wrong, I'm sorry!" He says.

"Leave me the fuck alone" Ashleigh says, walking towards the station entrance. Ed follows her.

"Ed, I mean it!" She yells.

"Why? Why do I have to leave? If you want me to leave you alone, that's fine, but I live in Glen Iris and the only way home is to get a train into Melbourne" Ed says.

"Fine. We'll sit in separate carriages then" Ashleigh decides.

"Why?" Ed asks, looking like he might just break down and cry.

"Have you managed to get Jayden yet?" I ask Zaine, who's on his phone.

"He had a low battery before he got on the wheel, so I'm assuming he's not deliberately ignoring me" Zaine says.

"Ash, please don't walk away from me" Ed begs.

"Fine. FINE. DO YOU WANT A FUCKING FIGHT?" Ashleigh yells, storming towards him.

"What? No! Of course I don't want to fight" Ed says.

"YOU'RE A FUCKING BASTARD JUST LIKE HIM!" Ashleigh yells, suddenly pushing Jayden onto the road, in front of an oncoming bus. I gasp, as Zaine runs to grab him. Ashleigh turns around, walking back inside the station.

As if not phased by being pushed and nearly hit, Jayden throws his backpack to the ground and runs after Ashleigh, grabs her and kisses her.

"Would he have just risked his life to be with the one he loves most?" Ed asks.

...

Cassie -

"I can't say I'm exactly sorry for you, Charlie. I knew this would happen as soon as you told me that girl was pregnant" the GP says, glaring at me as she types something into her computer.

"Please, can you just help us? I think he's got a fever or something - he's been shaking a lot and sweating" I say.

"Cassandra, when are you going to learn to let Charlie speak for himself?" She asks, glaring at me.

"I'm not the problem here, I just know if I don't say anything, nothing will happen" I say.

"Alright. Charlie, I'm putting you back on Prozac. They seemed to work moderately last time, maybe they can help again" The GP says.

"I'm not taking them" Charlie decides. I sigh. Here we go again.

"I highly recommend you do, Charlie. Is your nose bleeding?" The GP asks, suddenly handing him a tissue.