Chapter 67 - Ashleigh vs Olivia, Abbotsford

Adeline -

I bite my cheek as I glance over at the front door for the millionth time, worried about my best friend and what's going to happen to us.

Maybe I should have called Zaine, or my brother over. I wonder if they're any good at changing a set of tyres?

'Adeline, your child is in the room' Olivia says, in an off tone. I roll my eyes and sigh.

'Yes Olivia, the crazy thing is that my child is in the room, because she lives here with her parents' I say, as I get up and walk over to Brigan. I feel bad for keeping them in the other end of the house tonight, but Charlie insisted kids at the moment aren't good for Olivia and Jack to be around, whatever that means.

'Aunna Asja outside!' Brigan exclaims. I've always enjoyed hearing the way she says Ashleigh's name, Asja.

'I know' I say, as I walk her back to her room where Bailey is sitting, laughing at Ashleigh who's entertaining them from the other side of the window. The bin mustn't have been enjoyable for her.

I roll my eyes and tell the kids to stay where they are, and then ask Ashleigh to distract them as I walk down to the kitchen again. My stomach rumbles, I'm hungry. Apparently Charlie only cooked for his mates tonight and forgot about his wife.

'Is she gone?' Olivia asks as soon as I enter the room.

'Babe' Jack says, squeezing her hand as Olivia glares daggers into my soul. I retake my seat.

'They're down in their room, they shouldn't make a reappearance for a few hours' I say, sighing. I hate this and just want them to be allowed to roam free around their own house.

Charlie sits there looking at Olivia and I, as he stands up and collects everyone's plates. Wow, this is the most helpful he's ever been. Who is he?

'Well, I suppose we'd better get going, Jack' Olivia says, standing up and pushing her chair in.

'Surely we could stay a few more hours' Jack says. Olivia glares at her.

'We have a long drive home, come on' She says, pulling on his arm. He sighs and stands up.

'You guys don't have that far to travel, right?' I ask, slightly panicking due to their new car improvements.

'Only over to the Kew-Balwyn area' Jack says. I nod.

'Isn't that only like 5, 10 minutes from here?' I ask.

'It's actually 15 minutes to Balwyn, Adeline. How can you not know that?' Olivia asks, belittling me as she squints her beady eyes at me.

'Because I never head out in that direction. Charlie's family live out near Torquay, and we live in Abbotsford. Charlie works in Carlton obviously. I have no need to go to Balwyn' I say, defending myself.

'What about your family? Where are they located?' Olivia asks, without any tact whatsoever.

'Olivia' Jack warns.

'I think my brother and mother live out the Macedon-Gisborne way. I'm not sure, but I think that's what he said. And I don't speak to nor see my father's family' I explain.

Olivia looks me up and down, carefully considering her next insult.

'Surely you must go to work or an educational institute or something' she says.

'Liv, do we really need to ask her whereabouts? She said she doesn't go Balwyn. Let it go' Jack says.

'No' Olivia says, before looking at me expectantly and raising her eyebrows.