Chapter 31 - Youth Services, Melbourne CBD.

Adeline Isobel Plowman -

"Nah, you're gonna get drafted, man. I don't care how busted up you are right now. You're getting drafted" Jayden Sayers says, as he leans on the hospital bed.

"Jayden, I'm saying this because I care about you and don't want to hurt you, but do not call me busted up again" Zaine says dopily, as he lays his head back on the pillow.

"Charlie? Help me out here?" Jayden asks, turning to Charlie who's checking Instagram.

"What? I'm staying out of this one, guys" Charlie says.

I join Ashleigh and Quinn by the curtain as I finally look in, after having a ten minute battle with my shoe lace that decided it didn't want to be tied.

"Will they ever give us a turn?" Quinn asks, looking in, her long dark brown hair cascading down her back.

"They'll be in there for at least eight more hours, you just can't separate them" I estimate, watching my shoe lace untie itself again.

"Your shoe's untied" Ashleigh unhelpfully points out.

"Yes, thank you Templeton" I seethe.

"She's been trying to do that thing up forever. I think the twins are preventing it from working, cause she can't reach her foot" Quinn says, giggling and smiling as she puts her glasses rim between her teeth out of nerves.

"Alright Plowman, foot up" Ashleigh says, tapping her knee. I put my foot on her thigh as I awkwardly balance against a wall.

"What have I told you about calling me that?" I ask. Ashleigh shrugs.

"Well, it's either Plowman or Curnow and your restlessness isn't helping me tie this damn shoe. What the hell are these laces made of? Leather? Suede?" She asks, as she unsuccessfully ties the lace. It falls apart straight away again.

"Have you got swollen ankles, or something? Look at the size of these babies!" Ashleigh exclaims, inspecting my feet and ankles. I playfully kick her.

"It's called pregnancy, nitwit" I say, standing up on my two feet and stretching as I watch Ashleigh sneak in to Zaine's hospital room, nick a pair of Charlie's footy boots from his bag, and return with them.

"Try these instead. They'll probably be uncomfortable, but at least we can tie them up and not have you looking like you've managed to get lost from the psych ward" Ashleigh says. I roll my eyes and try Charlie's uncomfortable footy boots.

"That's not very politically correct, is it?" Quinn asks, referring to Ashleigh's joke.

"We're from Sunbury, Quinn. We don't have to be politically correct" Ashleigh says.

"I'm from Adelaide, actually. I just stopped in Sunbury on the way to Seymour" Quinn says.

"Adeline?" Ashleigh asks.

"Like my boyfriend, I refuse to take part in any debates" I say, standing up and trying to walk in the unfamiliar shoes. Quinn and Ashleigh laugh at me as I uncontrollably lose my balance and fall into an IV pole.

"Come on, now you're just playing. I've worn those things, they're not that hard to walk in" Ashleigh says.

"Oh, I don't know. They feel evil" I say, walking back to the girls

Cassie suddenly walks down the corridor with a police officer beside her. I catch the concerned faces on Ashleigh and Quinn before I decide to turn around and look.

"THEY'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIIIIVVVVEEE!" Ashleigh yells, as she suddenly runs into Zaine's room and hides under the bed.

"She been stalking again?" I ask Quinn, who nods her head.