Chapter 32 - Paisley Street, Footscray

Adeline Isobel Plowman -

Standing on the asphalt, I look up at the top of the station as I suddenly run for the escalator, going up, feeling the freezing breeze running through my hair and around my neck. Once I'm on the bridge of the Footscray Station, I turn around and race down the escalator at breakneck speed, whether I'm pregnant or not. I love the feeling of freedom, being away from Andrea. I feel like a wild animal escaping from a zoo. I can't run very well while pregnant, but I try anyway. It's dark. There's lurkers. Gangs. I don't care. I'm enjoying this way too much. I think I'm becoming slightly delusional.

It soon starts raining, and I'm forced to find shelter, so I go back to the waiting room on platform 4/5 and sit against the wall, wrapping myself up in the large coat I brought with me from Geelong. I'm about to fall asleep, when a guy suddenly walks in.

"Trains don't run again until 5:30am" he says. I wearily open one eye.

"I'm aware" I say.

"So, what are you doing here? Squatter" the guy says, walking towards me. I freeze up, knowing very well that I'm cornered. There's no escape. I lean my head back against the wall.

"I missed the last train to Geelong, I'm staying here until the next one comes. I don't know the area very well" I say.

"What have you got, mud in your ears? Get the fuck out of here" he says. I continue sitting there.

"But it's raining" I say pathetically.

"Does it look like I give a damn, princess? Come here" he says.

"No, I'm not going anywhere-"

"COME HERE!" He shouts, as he suddenly grabs my arms and pulls me to my feet, punching each side of my jaw and slapping my face. He doesn't let go of me, and holds me there like a deadweight.

"Go on and try to pull me down, I will be rising from the ground like a skyscraper" I say, quoting one of my favourite songs.

"You'll be the skyscrapers that collapsed in 9/11" he says, suddenly smirking as he looks at my body.

"So, you're pregnant, homeless and have nowhere to go" He remarks.

"You don't know anything about me" I say, shaking. The guy suddenly pushes me into the wall, wrapping his hands around my neck.

"You're a silly girl. Wrong place, wrong time for you. Right place, right time for me" he says, holding me until I begging to black out.

I suddenly catch sight of the bright fluro green vests as two PSOs walk down the stairs.

The guy suddenly lets go of me, and I drop to the ground, hurt. I have no energy to get up. Even when the Geelong train comes, I can't board it without a Myki. I'm screwed, stranded in Footscray, an area I have no idea about.

"She's homeless, I was trying to teach her a lesson for squatting" the guy says.

"Get out of here" one of the PSOs says, as the guy runs off.

"Are you okay, sweetheart?" The PSO on the left asks, looking at me on the ground.

"No" I whisper, voice barely audible.

"Stand up" the other PSO orders.

I weakly stand to my feet as they pin me against the wall, or at least try. It's a bit hard with the twins in the way.

"Hey! What are you doing?" I ask, shocked.

"Body search. We've gotta make sure you have no weapons or drugs on you, Miss" PSO 1 says.