162 - The End of The World

Ashleigh -

'I got it!'

Taylor Duryea excitedly yells and high fives Nick Daicos as the gate finally opens. It's taken us a whole day. We're exhausted. We're starving and dehydrated. We're dead inside. And I, personally, could really use a shower.

Nick and Taylor prepare to walk through the gate as I suddenly hear footsteps pounding behind me. I freeze, whip around and hold my gun out in front of me.

'WHO IS IT?' Nick yells, from where he and Taylor stand behind me.

In a flash, Quinn Schache rounds the corner as she holds her hands back and away from the gun. Her long brown hair streams down her back in tight hairspray stiff curls. She's wearing all black again today. I don't see her very often, but when I do, I know it's bad news.

'You can't go through the gate' she says, eyes full of alarm and voice full of urgency.

'Why not, Quinn? Tell me why not' I say, a little scared.

'It's a set up. I've been scoping this place out while trying to find my brother, and you three are in more danger than your friends back in the tunnels. They're waiting for you. Don't go through that gate, please Ashleigh. I'm begging you' she says.

I look back at the boys as Nick stands there, terrified.

'Quinn's right'

The two boys and I suddenly jump as we turn around to find Adeline Curnow standing on the other end of the gate. She looks like she's 16 again. Long, dark brown hair, straightened in an emo scene style. Black singlet, short denim shorts and a long sandy white cardigan.

'This is not real. This is not happening' Taylor says, pinching himself to make sure it's legit.

'Aren't you meant to be dead?' Nick asks, reaching out and touching Adeline. She slaps him and grimaces.

'I'm used to Quinn jumping out of nowhere in dangerous situations yelling at me, but Addie, this is a first for you' I say.

I watch in horror as Adeline rolls up her cardigan sleeve and reveals track marks, scars and bruises.

'They've had me as a prisoner in here for months. Don't believe the lies about me being removed from the secure location or whatever. As soon as I was shot, and everyone was removed from Preston, the corrupt cops only helped Devon to bring me here. Guys, Devon's a doctor. He stitched me up, literally. You're all fighting against nothing in court. Every time you attend, all you're doing is digging Lewis Young's grave' she says.

'I don't buy this' Taylor says, as he walks right through Adeline. Nick jumps and gasps.

'She's right. I've been watching her. And I know enough to know you people have just fallen straight into their gullible hands' Quinn says.

I suddenly scream as someone climbs down from the roof, and lands on his feet. Nick's eyes turn cold.

'Trust the girls, Nicky. Run the other way, and go back to where you came from. Soon enough the world is going to catch on when nobody resurfaces for a week. They'll defeat themselves in no time. You just have to wait it out' the guy says, as he stretches his back and makes it click. He seems to be very alert, always looking around. Adeline's thing is scratching her elbows in pain, and Quinn? She keeps clutching her chest. She's always done that every time she's made a reappearance.

'Aaron?' Nick asks in a shaking voice.

'He looks just like your brother' Taylor notes.

'Yeah, he is my brother' Nick says, tearing up.