Chapter 21 - Zaine, in Drysdale

Andrea White is played by Corinne Leigh from Threadbanger 😉

And Tamara White is Taylor Schilling from OITNB ☺️

...

Charlie -

"You know, you still haven't told me what happened at the court that day."

I freeze. Of all the things in the world he could have said, it had to be that.

"Just kick the ball" I say, running back. Zaine lines up, and then kicks. I catch the ball, sigh and kick it back.

"It's not the same without Jayden" I decide, looking around.

"I know. It's too quiet, and I had to survive a whole week without both of you here, Char! Never do that to me again" Zaine says. I roll my eyes.

"Never call me Char again and I'll consider it" I say. Zaine kicks the ball, but I don't go to it. I just let it land on the ground, a couple of metres from me.

"Are you gonna get that?" Zaine asks. I turn around and walk the other way.

"That's okay, the stupid gopher will retrieve it as always, and I'm guessing that means time?" Zaine asks, grabbing the ball and catching up to me.

"Yeah, time" I say quietly.

"Did I say something?" Zaine asks. I turn around.

"No. You didn't say anything. It's what you didn't say" I say, complicating things.

"Uh...how are you? Are you okay? What am I supposed to say that I didn't? Gone surfing lately? Spoken to Jayden lately? Jeez, Curnow, I don't know, and I don't appreciate you walking away from me in the middle of my sentence!" Zaine says, catching up to me.

"You left my entire world out of that list" I say. Zaine looks down as he ponders the things he could've left out.

"Me?" He asks, giving me a hopeful smile.