139 - Bell Street, Preston

Ashleigh Templeton -

'It's your fault we're in here anyway, Caitlin told you she didn't want to go out to that cafe'

'What? That cafe is where Caitlin used to work! When have you ever known me to want to go to a cafe that isn't in the Newport area?'

Hearing other voices coming from another end of the corridor, I decide against my plan to escape as I slowly walk up the hallway, trying to listen in on what's happening.

'Oh give it up, you made her go to that cafe in Windsor and you stepped out to take a phone call and now this nutjob has us locked up! And they've threatened to get mum as well!'

The voice of a female loudly argues with a male voice. Nervously, I let my feet reluctantly carry me to their area as I hold my breath.

I should be running, I should be leaving, I was almost out.

But something is drawing me towards this argument and I don't know why.

'Yeah, Esther, I know! I hear the threats ten times a day but just stop blaming me! It's his fault, he's the trigger happy psycho with a gun!'

I cautiously stand by the doorway as I peek in, finding Devon Stone-East's tall back facing me, blocking my view. But I know I definitely heard the name Esther. There's a blonde woman in here too with her side facing me, she's also pretty tall and is wearing a red singlet and black jeans.

'LEWIS, LOOK OUT!'

I suddenly gasp in shock as I recognise the terrified voice of my best friend since childhood yelling into oblivion and a blur of colour suddenly rushes in front of Devon. For a split second, I see a lock of her dark brunette hair move.

And then I hear a loud bang of a bullet leaving a gun barrel.

What just happened?

'ADELINE!' The voice of the male arguing suddenly yells. Shock is suddenly plastered across the blonde woman's face, and Devon momentarily puts his hands behind his head and pulls at his hair in regret and frustration.

'Adeline?' I quietly gasp, not even sure the name came out as I keep watch.

'HE'S SHOT HER!' The arguing female, presumably Esther, yells in terror.

I feel my eyes widen as my heart pounds in my chest and my legs suddenly become shaky. My hands and knuckles are balled into fists, and I'm sweating bullets. What is going on here?

I suddenly hear a weak, strained female voice whisper something but I can't be sure of what. I know it's definitely coming from Adeline though. She's tired. She's exhausted. She's in so much pain. I know that voice anywhere. I should run in and be her hero and save her.

But what sort of friend would I be if I ended up also getting myself killed? It certainly wouldn't save her life.

I should run. I want to run. I need to find the police, and Ed, and Lachie Plowman - Adeline's brother, but my feet stay firmly rooted to the concrete ground.

'No, Adeline, STAY WITH ME!' The male yells loudly, every tone and word sending shockwaves through my body.

'Lewis, she's gone. She's not responding. She's unconscious. MOVE, I KNOW CPR!' The female yells. Oh no. She's unconscious. Adeline's life is quite literally slipping away from her in this very room, and I'm just standing by and watching?

'I'm getting help' the tall blonde woman says, as she suddenly turns around to leave the room. As if just suddenly realising where I am, I turn around and find my feet as I bolt down the hallway, but slow enough to still hear the next hysterical words shouted.