Chapter 1 - Aphrasia St, Newtown

Adeline Isobel Curnow -

I didn't meet Charlie the way you'd expect.

We weren't exactly high school sweethearts, we didn't meet at a party (or anywhere with the involvement of alcohol, contrary to the popular belief of our families), we didn't meet through friends, and we didn't meet online either.

We actually met each other with a kiss.

Let it be said that I'd never kiss a complete stranger, especially someone in school uniform, but that's how it happened.

One day I was picking up my brat of a stepniece from school, and as I was getting off my bus, I looked around. I always hated having to acknowledge Jade's existence, especially when I had to go all the way to Newtown to pick her up, but I suppose, without Jade, I never would have met my husband.

We'd better not waste any time - I have to start making dinner soon.

This is the story of how my life completely turned around.

...

"Oi, Adeline!"

I bitterly look across at the group of idiots standing by their lockers as I start walking off towards my bus stop.

"Can I help you with something?" I ask, patience running thin. I'd spent six years of my life that I was never going to get back on idiots like these boys. I couldn't wait to leave school.

"Why'd you cut your hair?" One guy asks, grabbing a long strand of my black hair. Immediately, I pull away. Great. I'm gonna have to wash my hair again tonight.

"Does it matter?" I ask, not at all compelled to go into how my stepmother literally dragged me kicking and screaming into her friend's house, where my hair was carelessly chopped off into an un-layered mess.

"You were hotter with long hair, especially in grade 4 when you had the blonde-"

"I have to go" I say, hoisting my ridiculously heavy bag over my shoulder and running towards the bus stop.

I always get the next bus out of Drysdale, as to get a seat and not be in the rush of arguing students. I grab my phone as I start checking my messages. I roll my eyes at the top one.

Andrea White - Pick Jade up from SHC in Newtown and be back in Drysdale by 5. You have to wash the floors.

I sigh as I make the realisation I'm going to have to go into Geelong to head to Newtown. I'm already headed in the opposite direction. Great.

Adeline Isobel - But I'm already on the bus back to Drysdale.

It doesn't even take Andrea five minutes to answer my text. She'd be sitting at home, probably stuffing her face with chocolate while watching TV. I groan. It's Thursday, footy show night, and I was planning on watching it for the first time in four weeks tonight. Drew Petrie and Brent Harvey are going to be on the panel.

Andrea White - Get off at the next stop and go back to Newtown, otherwise you're grounded and not getting your allowance this month.

Once again, I grown. This month's allowance would get more money put on my travel card. I'm already in minus now as it is.

Pressing the buzzer on the pole above me, I wait for the bus to pull over at the next stop as I leave, making sure to say thank you as I exit.

...

I de-bus at Aphrasia Street in Newtown as I walk back to my niece's school, heading for the crossing. As always, I'm in a world of my own when I'm walking, so I take no notice whatsoever of the boy running towards me screaming HEADS UP.

"Ugh!" I grunt, as a pair of lips touch mine and I go flying to the ground.

I open my eyes to find a young boy with extremely messy hair staring back at me. I'm looking into the brownest eyes I've ever seen. The boy removes himself from me as he stands up.

"I'm sorry...my mate kicked the ball out too far. It's his fault" the boy says, scratching the back of his neck.

"Good to know" I say sarcastically, standing up. My back is killing me from the fall.

"My uh...my ball. I should get my ball" he says, running after the discarded sherrin. I roll my eyes. He doesn't care that he just knocked me down and kissed me, but he does care about the health and safety of his bloody football.

"Bellarine Secondary College? Bleh. You're not from around here" he says, kicking the ball back to his mate, some kid with hair just as equally messy and curly, but much darker.

"Drysdale" I say, looking at his posh uniform. He obviously attends the school we're standing out the front of, The Geelong College.

"What are you doing on this side of Geelong?" He asks, as if he actually cares.

"My niece goes to school at Sacred Heart, and I'm supposed to pick her up" I say, looking at my watch, trying to show the boy that I don't have time for jibber jabber. His friend kicks the ball back to him, and he neatly catches it, winking at me.

"I'd better let you go then...CORDY, CATCH IT!" He yells, as he kicks the ball back to his friend, who completely misses the mark.

"Maybe the next time I see you, you'll be on my TV playing for the AFL" I say, smiling as I walk off. Why not inflate the kid's ego? He did smash my face five minutes ago.

As I'm crossing the road, walking to my sister's school, I hear Cordy shout out 'DID YOU JUST HAVE YOUR FIRST KISS, CURNOW?'