Chapter 130 - Camberwell, Victoria

Adeline -

That was a mistake.

It's sometimes impossible for me to rethink over moments where I have, tumultuously, fucked up.

I'm not the nice person everyone has come to love, or talk about. And anyone who may one day pick this journal up and read it, they probably think I'm the most selfish narcissistic and neglectful person on the planet.

Sure, I've slept with him once before, but I was single again then. He still had a wife though, but I felt no guilt. Maybe because I was so fucked in the head and just wanted a little bit back for myself.

This time, I was married and had left my three kids at home on my husband. And I ditched my best friend's 21st birthday party, and her last night in Melbourne.

I continue running alongside the Yarra River, desperately imagining I'm running away from my problems and the situation. And the beautiful face that put us both into this mess.

'I love you, Josh' I breathe.

'I love you too'

I aggressively push my hair back as it clings to my sweaty face. Obviously it's falling out of its ponytail due to the wind, but Josh also pushed my hair out of my face last night. Josh did a lot of things last night. And they're all impacting on my actions today - the next morning, and what I'm going to do. And honestly, I feel so fucking guilty for what I've done.

I couldn't bring myself to write about the actual crime. While I could write the lead up and now today's movements, I can't revisit that again. It's too hard to see evidence, writing on the wall of what I did to Charlie and what Josh did, again, to Jamie Raegan.

I've been running around all morning. I just. I'm scared that if I go home, he's going to know something is up. And I have nowhere else to be. Work isn't on just yet. Olivia Silvagni is in the hospital but due to this stupid virus, I can't even go visit her. I kind of don't want to anyway.

Ashleigh and Ed left for New York this morning. I was supposed to meet them at the airport. For the most part I was asleep next to Josh in the back of my car. And then I left him with the keys and ran away. I nearly publicly exposed myself to a bunch of male high school students when I panicked and got out of the car, forgetting I had been naked.

I'm never going to forgive myself for this. Cheating on my husband with Josh and then ditching my best friend when she's about to travel to New York for god knows how long. She's going to be so mad at me when she finally touches down at the airport and sees I haven't even had the decency to message her.

...

'Hey Zac' I say, walking into work as I see Paddy and Cam doing his job in the cafe instead.

'Sorry, the diva isn't here. He had a hissy fit' Cam says grudgefully, as he angrily cleans the dishes.

'Zac?' I ask, just as the handsome devil walks out from the corridor.

'Oh, hey Adeline. DOW, MAKE HER A COFFEE NOW!' He yells.

'I don't know how she takes it?' Paddy says, stressing out.

'Ask her' Zac says, like it's obvious. I shift from foot to foot uncomfortably. Zac was at the party last night...

'Uh...' Paddy stutters, as he looks around the cafe.

'I have to get to my office' I say.

'Wait, Adeline. I gotta ask you something' Zac says, as he follows me.

Where'd you sneak off to last night?

'What?' I ask.

'Have you heard the news about Olivia?' He asks.