Chapter 3 - Ross Crt, Sunbury

Adeline Isobel -

Let me correct George Curnow on his mistake.

During that conversation, he had said he was sure my family didn't want me dead.

He was wrong.

My next day starts with a bad mistake, me accidentally knocking a bag of flour all over the kitchen.

I'm climbing up the shelves in the pantry, trying to reach the chocolate Andrea constantly teases me with, when the crime occurs.

"Fuck!" I curse, as I accidentally push the bag of flour off the shelves. Praying that thing's closed, I close my eyes before I can look down at the mess I've made.

"Oh Jesus Christ" I say, dropping down from the shelves and standing in the mess of white powder. Tamara runs into the kitchen.

"What the fuck did you do that for, you little slut?" She asks, grabbing the collar of my shirt and punching my chest.

"I didn't mean it, honest!" I yell, shaking. Tamara slaps my face before forcing my head against the slate floor, covering me in the powder. Andrea joins us.

"What happened?" She asks, eyes wide.

"Just Adeline opening a packet of flour and deliberately pouring it everywhere for attention!" Tamara yells. I open my mouth, looking at her in shock as she pulls me up by my ponytail.

"I knocked it when I was looking for something!" I yell, defending myself, although I know it won't matter.

"I watched you do it!" Tamara lies, shoving me forward. Andrea gets in my face.

"You think you can make a mess in MY KITCHEN?" She yells, before slamming my head with a frying pan.

...

I don't know where I'm going. I just let my feet take me there.

It starts with a bus ride to the Geelong Station, and then I find myself on a train to Melbourne. I get off at Sunshine and board the Sunbury train, apparently a different companied train network to Geelong.

A group of teenagers start fighting in the corner of the carriage. I try to bury myself in my worn out hoodie as I place my head against the window, my earphones playing Linkin Park loudly in my ears. I try to block the world around me out, and try to hold my tears back. I get off the train at the end of the line in Sunbury, and walk around the shops. I enter the local post office.

"Ah, I remember you! Adeline Pl-"

"That's me" I say to the guy who works behind the desk and owns the store.

"I haven't seen you in years, young Addie! What can I help you with?" He asks. I shrug.

"I guess I'm looking for my mum and my brother. Do you know if they still live in Sunbury?" I ask.

"I haven't heard from or about them in years, probably not since I last saw you. Your brother had a black eye, and his hair was down to his shoulders. I don't know if they're still living here, because I haven't seen them" he says. I nod.

"They've probably moved away, but I might go and see if they're at our old house. Do you know if there's a bus that runs there?" I ask.

"If you board the 487 to Killara Heights, there's a stop opposite Ross Court. Try not to get hit by a car when crossing the road like your brother did when he was five" he says.

"Yep, I remember that crime, my poor mother was panicked, and my father told her my brother would be fine. Where do I catch that bus?" I ask.

"Just there at the station. Good luck Addie, I hope you do find them again" he says.

"Thank you very much" I say, smiling and nodding as I walk across to the bus stop at the station. I board my bus as I go back to my old childhood home.

...

I stand out the front of my favourite place as I look up at it. It's no different in appearance, but...everything's different about it. I'm about to go up and knock, reunite with my mother and brother, when a car suddenly pulls into the driveway, an old Holden commodore.

It wouldn't surprise me that my brother would drive one of them.

But it does surprise me that someone I've never seen before steps out of the car.

"Um...hi...I'm just wondering, what happened to the family living here before you?" I ask, feeling pathetic. He looks at me, annoyed.

"What, do you think the real estate agent and landlord invited us over for a cup of tea to gossip about the family who were evicted? God, the people of Sunbury are so stupid!" He yells, slamming the door and going inside. I hear him yelling about the stupid girl standing out the front. I quickly turn and run back down the court.

I'd go and ask the neighbours, but from memory, the left side weren't very friendly, and the other side moved out when I did.

Feeling completely disheartened, I board the bus back to the Sunbury station as I start crying.

I was so close.

...

I stand out the front of the station, looking at my phone screen. I'm not impressed to see SOS ONLY in the top left corner of the screen. Andrea must've done something to my phone bill.

I get the fright of my life as somebody snatches my rucksack, and runs off with it. I start chasing him, screaming at the top of my lungs 'HELP ME, HE JUST TOOK MY BAG!' Nobody seems to take any notice though, and if they do, they're just watching on, offering no help whatsoever.

A PSO suddenly holds the guy up, as I join them, struggling to catch my breath. I explain the situation, and the PSO takes my bag and searches it. I show him my school ID card as evidence I am who I say I am, and my bag is returned. The guy is arrested.

Crying, I quickly board the next train back to Melbourne as I think about the hell I'm gonna return to.

...

Fear is an extremely frustrating thing.

I stand on platform 4 at the sunshine station as I wait for the next Waurn Ponds or South Geelong service, feeling a little brave, but as soon as the train rolls in, I run away from it.

I don't want to go back to Drysdale.

I'm paralysed to the spot. I'm not sure what to do. I can't exactly stay in Sunshine.

Feeling one tiny bit of courage,

I run and board the train before it takes off again.

...

I exit the train at The Geelong Station as I board my bus back to Drysdale. Nothing all that interesting.

I think I hate this bus more than anything in the world. It takes me directly to hell.

In fact, I'm not even sure why it says it goes to Drysdale/Ocean Grove. I think a more suitable route name would be HELL.

I leave the bus and say thank you as I walk up to the house. Taking a deep breath, I walk up the car port as I prepare to die.