Chapter 41 - Infant Nursery, Geelong Hospital

A/N: Quick apologies for not updating since the 21st of November, I've been really busy and work has picked up, it's December so everything in my schedule is completely insane 😂 I don't know if there'll be another update before Christmas or New Years, my work breaks up on the 23rd and then my brother's is on the 1st of Jan, so I'll be extremely busy during the holiday week. On another note, I'd like to wish everyone a happy Chanukah (even if it is over) and a merry Christmas! If I'm not back before 2019, I'd also like to wish everyone an extremely happy new year, I hope the next is better than the horrid one 2018 was. xx

EDIT - Happy 22nd Birthday to a future cast member of this book, Jack Silvagni! ily 💙

...
Eliza's POV -

"Is it somebody's birthday?" I ask, as I cradle my newborn niece in my arms. She's been alive for five hours now, and her mother still hasn't woken up.

I look over at my youngest brother, who's sitting against a wall, holding his new son, looking at him, scared out of his mind.

"Hey, it's my turn!"

George takes Brigan Isobel Curnow from me as I look around, now bored. I would annoy Adeline, but I'm gonna give her the day off, since she nearly died today. This is a one time thing though. I'm coming back tomorrow.

"Where's Lachy?" Mum asks, walking up to me.

"Still in Charlie's arms where he's been since the nurses said he was alright" I say, nodding at my little brother.

"I want a turn. He's been hogging him all day. It's like you when Charlie was born, you wouldn't give any of us a chance to hold him" Mum says.

"I don't know, he's been kind of quiet and strange all day" I say, looking at him.

"Oi Charles, it's my turn" Ed says, suddenly pulling Lachlan Bailey Curnow out of his arms. Charlie looks up, panicked.

"Be careful! No, Ed, you're holding him wrong, don't-"

"Charlie, I have three younger siblings, I think I know how to hold a baby" Ed says, slowly rocking our nephew up and down, much to Charlie's dislike.

"Why are her eyes exactly like Charlie's?" George asks, looking at Brigan.

"Because she's his daughter?" Charlotte asks, annoyed with the stupid question.

...
Adeline Isobel Plowman -

Beep.
Beep.
Beep.

I slowly open my eyes to find myself staring up at blinding fluorescent lights, I'm in pain, and I'm drugged to the high heavens.

Turning my head, I look around the hospital room. I'm alone. Where is everyone? What happened?

I manage to press the attention button on the remote beside me as I wait for a nurse to come in. I need to know what happened. Was I in a car accident?

Are the twins okay?

Ed suddenly walks in beside a nurse, followed by Charlie, who pushes his way between them, Ed glaring at him. Eliza is next to enter, and then George and Charlotte walk in at the same time, jamming each other in the doorway. Looks like it's a full family affair.

"What the hell happened?" I ask, blinking. I try to focus on Ed, but my vision is so bad I can't even tell if it's Ed or the nurse. Maybe I need glasses?

Did I hit my head?

"You don't know?" Eliza asks, amused.

"Goddam it George, if you don't move out of this doorway right now and let me through, then so god help me!" Charlotte whines.

"How old are you two? You're both in your twenties, now grow up and let me in! Brigan and Lachlan are more mature!" Cassie says from the corridor.

"Did I fall off something? That kind of sounds like me. Did I party too hard last night?" I ask, very confused. Why is everyone smiling at me? Am I being funny?

Wait, who are Brigan and Lachlan?

"Adeline, does anything about your body feel different right now? Maybe lighter...sorer...not as heavy?" Eliza asks.

"What?" I ask, unsure if she's being rude or serious.

"You went into labour, silly. They said you'd be amnesic for a while as you had a seizure" Ed says. Charlotte suddenly pushes her brother out of the way and walks in, then Cassie also gets in George's way and pushes in. George stands in the doorway, unable to find room to walk in.

"What is this, a sorority? If there's more than two guests in this room, I won't be happy" the nurse says. George gives Charlotte a smug look as she leaves, followed by Eliza and Ed, leaving Charlie and Cassie.

"I went into labour?! Are the twins okay? Where are they?" I ask, completely freaked out. And I had a seizure?!

"They're fine, they're in the nursery right now. We've all met them" Cassie says.

"What are their names?" I ask.

Cassie looks at Charlie, letting him have the spotlight.

"Our son's name is Lachlan Bailey, and our daughter's name is Brigan Isobel" he says. I feel the panic attack coming on.

"You named him Lachlan?" I ask, outraged.

"Should I have not done that?" Charlie asks, worried.

"No, I...uh...we can call him by his middle name. Bailey. Bailey Curnow" I say, a bit unsure about the choice of names Charlie picked. I'm entirely sure his siblings would have helped with that decision, especially since I picked the name Brigan Isobel, and only told George.

"Why not Lachlan, or Lachy?" Charlie asks.

"PLEASE! No one calls him that. Not us, not the family, not friends, not anyone" I say, dictating the rules.

"But it's his name?" Charlie asks, confused, a look of hurt crossing his eyes for a second.

"Charlie, do I ever call you Charles?" I ask.

"Well, no" he says.

"Exactly, so don't call him that name" I say, snapping.

"What a surprise, Adeline's first moment with her own children and she judges her son's name and yells in front of him" Eliza says from outside, shaking her head, being irritating as always.

I'll really give her something to be surprised about if she doesn't stop her shit again soon.