Chapter 2 - Edinburgh Rd, Drysdale

...
Adeline Isobel -

As it was, I never thought I'd see that boy again. He was just some random kid playing football with his mates, no one special.

I certainly wasn't expecting to see his brother at my 'job'.

Three weeks later, I'm stacking the plates and cups for dishwashing, about five minutes from closing time when someone suddenly runs into the cafe.

"Oh, I'm sorry sir, we're closed" I say, blocking his entry into the main area. If my stepmother sees him, I will be dead.

"What's the address for this place?" He asks, panicking. His curly hair kind of reminds me of 'Curnow''s.

"12 Edinburgh Road, Drysdale" I say.

"Okay, thanks" he says, turning around and running out the door again. I shake my head as I try to imagine why on earth he wants our address, when he suddenly runs back in.

"Is it okay if I call an ambulance to this address?" He asks.

"An ambulance? What's happened? I have a first aid kit!" I say. I'm not at all trained in first aid, but in saying that, I work in a cafe and I'm not trained in food handling or alcohol either.

"It's my brother...he has these meltdowns every now and then...I just need to call an ambulance. We're parked out the front" he says. I grab the landline from it's dock and type in triple zero.

Someone suddenly joins the guy, a young female with similar looking facial features and long curly brown hair.

"He's freaking out, we need to get him out of the car!" She says to her brother. I recognise some sort of foreign accent in her voice. Maybe Kiwi?

"There's a rotunda just around the corner" I say, as the phone rings. The girl nods and runs back out to the car.

"You have called triple zero. Do you require police, ambulance or fire brigade services?"

"Ambulance" I say, as I look out the front door with the guy. There's about five people surrounding somebody, who I can't see properly.

"What is your current suburb?"

"Drysdale, Victoria" I say.

"What is the emergency?" Someone asks, as I'm finally connected to an ESTA operator.

"I'm not sure. I'm a waitress in the local cafe, where somebody has ran in, needing an ambulance. I'll pass you onto him now" I say, as I pass the guy the phone.

I continue stacking the dishes as the guy suddenly starts arguing with the operator. From what I can tell, his younger brother started hyperventilating in the car, freaked out and started self harming. Said brother's name is Charles Curnow, and the guy's name is George.

Curnow. Hm.

"An ambulance is on its way...thank you so much, miss" he says, passing the phone back to me. My family are too busy sitting out the back, drinking and smoking while I do all the dirty work. That Don't Impress Me Much by Shania Twain starts playing on the radio. Ain't that relatable.

"No worries...George, is it?" I ask, putting the phone on trolley as I continue collecting the dishes. Apparently we have a lot at closing time.

"Yes. What was your name?" George asks.

"Adeline" I say, smiling.

"Okay...thank you so much, Adeline" he says, heading for the door.

"I hope little Charles will be okay!" I shout, even though it was said the affected brother is my age.