Chapter 113 - McKell Ave, Sunbury

Ashleigh Templeton -

'Come on!'

I nervously run behind my best friend forever for life, Adeline Plowman as I look around me at the suburban-country Sunbury streets. This is a lot different to home in Gisborne.

'Addie, are you sure we should be doing this?' I ask uncomfortably, as Adeline climbs on top of the bin.

'It's my house' she says, as she jumps over the gate-fence. I anxiously bite my lip as she unlocks the gate.

'Come on' she says again, pulling me into the backyard. Is this breaking and entering? Oh man, my mother's gonna be so pissed!

'How are we going to get inside?' I ask quietly, as I look around at the abandoned bird aviary in the corner of the backyard. It looks very try hard tropical out here, especially with the passionfruit trees and vines growing. I've never been allowed past the kitchen on Adeline's property. Her dad is always angry about something and her mother is always doing aggressive things and blaming everyone else but herself.

'The doggy door' Adeline says, her eyes twinkling mischievously.

'You don't have a dog' I say.

'My mom used to have two from her previous relationship with another guy. I can't remember what breed the eldest dog was, but the youngest was a bulldog. My dad also has two dogs from his previous relationship. Both ex partners took their dogs back and we've been left with a doggy door ever since' Adeline says, as she goes around to the laundry door.

'I'm scared, Adeline. We shouldn't be here' I say, crossing my arms as a cold breeze flows through. I'm surprised it's stopped raining. It was pouring in Gisborne and on the train. The train that my mother has no idea we took.

'I'm too big to go in. You're gonna have to' Adeline suddenly says.

'I'm gonna have to - what? Why me?' I ask, panicking.

'You're very skinny, Ashleigh' she says, raising her eyebrows.

'I don't want to go inside. I want to go home' I say.

'This is my home, Ashleigh. And no one's been here since mom went shopping that day, dad went to work and Lachs went to footy training. I want to grab some things' Adeline says.

Because I feel bad for her, I sigh as I give in and crawl through the doggy door, accidentally cutting myself on the wood splinter sticking out.

'Addie, I'm bleeding!' I yell loudly.

'Let me in! Unlock the door!' Adeline yells, ignoring me.

I quickly turn the door lock and open it, letting Adeline in.

'Thank you. Woah, the basket of clothes is still here' Adeline says, as she picks up a navy blue washing basket, overflowing with dirty clothes.

'Yeah, no one's been here as you said earlier' I say, confused as I rub my sore, bleeding arm.

'We should do the washing for them, in case they come back. Maybe then they'll see that I'm actually good and they'll let me come home' I say.

'Are they ever coming back?' I ask, as Adeline flips the light switch. Nothing happens.

'Oh. I guess dad forgot to pay the electricity bills again' Adeline says, sounding disappointed as she walks off.

'If my dad forgot to pay the electricity bills, my mother would kill him. Although then again...my dad owns shares in some of Victoria's major power companies' I say, shrugging. I've never known what it's like to struggle. My dad is a multimillionaire, almost billionaire. We don't pay taxes either apparently.