Chapter 4 - The Rotunda, Drysdale

Adeline Isobel's POV:

Workin' 9 to 5 - what a way to make a living.

I swear to god, my days never end.

I'm scrubbing the glass door of the salad bar when somebody comes up to the counter.

"Won't be a minute!" I shout, throwing the dirty wash cloth in a bucket and going to the counter. I pull my gloves off.

"How can I....George! and Curnow!" I say, smiling as I see who's standing in front of me.

"Adeline, I have not seen you touch that homework book in the last five minutes!" Tamara shouts. I quickly turn around and try to fill in an answer. Why do I even bother?

I quickly run back over when Tamara disappears.

"I'm so sorry, I'm just...it's been a busy day, I have homework, cleaning and a cafe that I apparently have to regulate today. What can I do for..."

My words are cut off as Curnow pulls out a bouquet of flowers from behind his back, and a card.

"Oh my god...you didn't...are you serious?" I ask, covering my mouth.

"We wanted to come by and say thank you, Charlie in person this time" George says. I put the bouquet down on the counter as I run to the coffee station and exit the staff only area. I wrap my arms around Charlie and George.

"Thank you so so much for being alive, and just thank you so much. You've made my day" I whisper, as I start crying.

"What are you doing?" Tamara asks, shocked. I break away from the hug as I run back to my station. Tamara snatches the bouquet from the counter.

"What is this?" She asks.

"It's a gift, from Char-"

Once again, my words are cut off as Tamara grabs a discarded pair of scissors from the floor and starts cutting the flowers up. Charlie and George look on, horrified.

"Get back to work or it's your hair next time" Tamara says, grabbing a strand of hair tucked in behind my ear and carelessly chopping it. She throws the scissors and hair on the ground as she leaves again.

George and Charlie just stare at me, jaw dropped.

"It's okay...I still have this" I say, revealing the card tucked into my jeans pocked, underneath my apron. Charlie smiles, but then his eyes widen again.

"What happened to your neck?" He asks. I put my hands to my neck, trying to figure out what he's asking, when I remember.

"I...uh...I fell down the stairs. At home. By accident" I lie. George grabs my arm.

"Your wrists are all bruised too" he says.

"No, no they're not. It's um...shadows. It's just the shadows and the lighting...you know, you two should really go if you're not going to order something!" I say loudly, so Andrea, dad and Tamara can hear me.

"Alright, well can I have-"

"Nope! Trust me, none of the food here is good, you'll end up regretting it. Thanks for stopping by. I'll see you next time!" I whisper, pushing them towards the back door.

"But we came in through the front-"

"Shh!" I hiss, as I untie my apron and step outside with them.

"Meet me at the rotunda in about...ten minutes. I'll claim I'm going to do homework, and that the cafe is too busy to concentrate in" I say, as I push them out again and run back in, going straight for my book. I finish up the next few orders and grab my books and pencil case.