Chapter 8 - The Etihad Stadium, Docklands

Adeline Isobel's POV:

It has occurred to me that broken legs absolutely suck.

"By law I'm entitled time off to recover" I tell Andrea, as I sit in a booth in the cafe, doing my homework. It's almost closing time, so it's not that busy - this is the first time I've ever seen Andrea out of the kitchen and cleaning the benches down. One of the other staff members called in sick, and with my leg all busted up, she has to do more of the workload.

"That's for employed workers only, Adeline" Andrea says, as she struggles to clean a mirror. I roll my eyes. Maybe now she can see my daily struggle. Except she doesn't think she's evil.

"You can't make me work with a broken leg. I'll go to a solicitor" I threaten, while I work on some mathematics. What's Pi again? My god, I'm such a dumbass.

"And how are you gonna pay for the fees?" She asks, hand on her wide oversized hip. I shrug.

"Victorian Legal Aid are a free service" I say.

"Who were those boys that paid for your surgery?" Andrea asks. I look up.

"Lukas and Toby" I lie, hoping she doesn't notice me breaking eye contact.

"Well, if you ever see them again, tell them to go and get fucked, as they've made me lose another employee, and they've got you believing your leg is broken, and that you can take time off" Andrea says. I roll my eyes. Had I of said Charlie and George, she would hunt them down to the end of the earth.

My phone suddenly vibrates.

Pulling the old smashed iPhone out of my pocket, I check to make sure I have service - good, three bars of 3G. Charlie has sent me a Facebook message.

Charlie Curnow - Heyyyy, it's Friday and your boy is home for the weekend.

I smile as I roll my eyes again. It's not unlike Charlie to refer to himself as your boy, to every single person he meets.

Adeline Isobel - Well, your girl is spending her Friday night inside with a broken leg. And your girl is also getting really fed up with you calling yourself your boy. XD

Charlie Curnow is typing...

Charlie Curnow - fml I didn't realise I was talking to my sister. 😂
Charlie Curnow - a couple of mates and I are going to the game tonight to see Ed play. You wanna come?

I sigh as I begin to consider accepting Charlie's invite. It would get me out of the house for a few hours, but I'd have to sneak out and back in, and by the time said game finishes, the buses in Geelong would be finished for the night - I'd have to call a cab.

Adeline Isobel - who's Ed? Is he some sporting hero you love? Is the game in Melbourne, or Geelong?

Charlie Curnow is typing...

Charlie Curnow - Ed's my older brother, he plays for Carlton. It's at the Etihad, against the dogs. I'm getting a ride and then bringing my skateboard, how are you getting there?

Adeline Isobel - 'suppose I'd have to sneak out and use public transport, which is a bit of a pain on crutches. I didn't know you had another brother, or that he played in the AFL!

"Adeline, why are you looking at your phone?" Andrea suddenly asks. I lock the iPhone and put it in my pocket.

"Sorry, my uh...my friend messaged me" I say.

"You don't have any friends" Andrea says.

"Well, apparently I do now" I say, checking my phone as Charlie sends me the details.