Vengeful-Intruders

You: What? What's wrong?

Clem: I don't know.

You can hear the gate break down, the hum of engines, the shouts of men and women outside. Something bad has happened.

You: What about everyone else?

You stand up and head for the window. She stops you by grabbing your wrist.

Clem: Don't let them see you; that'd end us before this even started.

She lets go and looks at the door.

Clem: The others left the building. I woke you up when I realized. Things are getting bad, quick.

You: We gotta catch up with them, then.

Clem: Those people are already in our walls. The others didn't come back here, so they probably went through the dorms. We won't make it to them.

You: What do we do then, Clem?

Clem: I don't know.

You: You've got to know a good way out of here.

Clem: Not any way I can go.

You: There has to be a way.

Clem: With my leg, I'm not going anywhere. I can slow them down at best, and that won't even buy you much time.

You: No, we can make it.

Clem: I'll only slow you down, and I bet this is the caravan people. If they catch you, who knows what they'll do.

You: And what do you think they'll do to you?

The doors to the admin building open downstairs. It sounds like they were kicked in, maybe even ripped straight off their hinges. Whoever is here, they're here to take over.

You: I'm not arguing with you, Clementine.

You bend down in front of her, your back facing her.

You: Get on.

Clem: No, Y/N. You need to go. Even if we make it, you'll have to deal with the herd while carrying me. You have to meet the others. They'll go to the train station.

You: Clementine.

Clem: You promised me you'd make sure they were safe.

You: I didn't promise you anything.

Clem: I don't want to get anyone killed.

You grab her good leg and what's left of her other and hoist her onto your back. She lurches forward and wraps her arms around your neck to keep from falling.

Clem: The hell?

You: Keep your voice down. They're in the building.

Clem: You're going to get yourself killed.

You: Then I get myself killed. I don't care.

You step into the hall, looking both ways to check for the invaders.

You: I don't know which way to take.

Clem: I don't either.

You peek over the railing to see where the people have made it. You see a foot take the first step that crosses your vision, and you pull back.

You: They're almost up here.

Facing the stairs, you head right. That's where the dormitories lie, and that way has a better chance of providing an exit.

Clem: Y/N, we're-

You: If you don't have anything good to say, shut up.

You're moving as fast as you can, trying to keep from making too much noise. These people could be lurking anywhere.

As you go, there's a gunshot in the distance. It's outside, somewhere. A few moments later, a barrage erupts.

You: There they are.

Clem: Oh God.

You hook a right down a hall.

You: They'll make it. Quit worrying.

There's a flight of stairs on the left. You take them, keeping your pace as best you can. One of the stairs nearly caves as you go.

Clem: The shooting stopped.

You: That could be a good thing.

She squeezes your neck a little tighter.

As you go, you slowly start to recognize where you are. One day, while you were locked up, Violet let you explore the school. You had to look around a little more discreetly with her supervising, but you found a way out when she wasn't looking. You had expected to run away in the middle of the night.

You head into a room and close the door behind you. There's little light, but the path across the room is clear of anything you could run into or trip over.

Clem: Where are we going?

You: Out. Trust me.

You reach the door on the opposite side of the room and push it open. You squint from the sudden change in lighting and move forward toward the opening in the brick wall. The metal gate is thrown wide open, just like it was when you found it.

Clem: I didn't know this was here.

You: Found it while exploring one day.

As you near the gate, you can tell the walkers aren't super clumped up on this side of the school, giving you a clear path out and away.

You: We're gonna make it.

You spoke too soon. As you cross the threshold...

Clem: Look out!

You look to your right just as the fist connects with your head. They were waiting.

You fall over, your head smashing against the metal gate. You drop Clementine as you collapse to the ground, nearly unconscious.

Unknown: Where are the rest of you fuckers?!

Clem: Fuck you!

Your vision is fuzzy, your head pounding. You look over just in time to see them grabbing Clementine. She's fighting, but there are two people on her, and without both of her legs, she's not able to get away. She manages to escape their grasp once, just for them to grab her again after she falls over. Her yells of frustration and pain tear through you. This is your fault.

Unknown: Look who it is.

Someone kicks you in the side, turning you onto your back.

Unknown: Found ya.

They put their boot on your neck and press down.

Unknown: We can go home then! Don't have to take this place over anymore!

Unknown: Knock him out and load him up. Bring the girl too.

Unknown: You got it.

The boot is removed from your neck and slammed back down on your head. That's the last thing you remember before the sleep you so desperately needed.