Gods-Shinigami

A few days earlier...

I never returned to the diner yesterday. I stayed out all night and ended up sleeping against a tree for a few hours. No one ever came looking for me, or so I think. It's not like the town is big, so they would have found me if they had.

I enjoyed the time alone. It was peaceful, and I was able to relax a little. I got my head a little straighter and calmed down after everything that happened yesterday. I understand both sides, but I think both of them are the wrong way to go. All I can do is express that to them and let them decide what they want. If push comes to shove, I'll stay with Ericson's group. They're my people. If Javier intends to lead his people to their death, he can go ahead.

Violet: Where have you been, Clem?

I guess someone did come looking for me. I can tell immediately that something is wrong. Both from the look on her face and the tone of her voice.

Me: What's wrong?

She looks around before saying anything. We're a ways off from where the group is centralized, so I don't know why she does.

Me: Did Salvation find us?

Violet: No, it's not that. Let's just go back to the diner. We'll talk more there.

She's in a hurry, keeping her head on a swivel. I try my best to move at a quick pace, but I can only do so much about that.

As we approach the diner, we start running into people. They give me dirty looks and mutter nasty comments as we pass. I'm not worried about that as much as I'm worried about why they're all out. Usually, there are only a few people out this early. The whole group is out and about.

Violet holds the diner door open for me and looks around outside before shutting it again.

Me: The fuck is he doing here?

Gabe sits on the counter like he's supposed to be here. Everyone else is gone, probably out searching for me.

Gabe: Nice to see you too.

Violet: He caught someone trying to kill you this morning.

Me: Someone...

I can't act surprised. I knew it was coming; I just hoped, by some miracle, it would never happen. But, since one person tried, more will come, I'm sure.

Violet: Clem, about what we talked about last night. It's a good time to.

I sigh and take a seat in one of our booth chairs.

Me: I know... But why is he still here?

Gabe: Needed to talk to you.

Me: So talk.

Gabe: Why are you being-

Violet: Get on with it, Gabe.

He looks between the two of us a few times and then sighs.

Gabe: We put it to a vote last night and decided that we're going to Salvation.

Me: Ok.

Gabe: There's a plan to move closer to Salvation, get some information, and then try and round up a group to fight back.

Me: Gonna die.

Gabe: I think they know that.

Me: So then why go for it.

Gabe: Desperate.

Me: We've all been desperate for years. That comes with the territory. So why have they decided to lose their cool now?