Collapse-There's No Reason at All

The moon is worrying. There are no clouds in the sky tonight to block its reflected light from shining down on you. It lights up the world as if it were day. If someone is looking in your direction, they'll see you.

You're keeping your eyes open, knowing that you're close to Salvation's camp. You're moving west away from Richmond, and you've almost left the city entirely. You didn't think they'd be so far out, but you've not seen anything to suggest their presence. So, you walk on the sidewalks of the streets and watch your surroundings, hoping that you spot them before they spot you.

Lucky for you, they make themselves know. You hear shouting and see lights appear not far ahead of you. They're running in the opposite direction, spreading out to cover more space. You duck to your left behind an old car and watch through the busted windows.

You wait for more to appear and come for you, you expect it, but they never do. The people you saw hurry away until you can't hear them anymore, and eventually, they disappear entirely. You slowly exit your shitty excuse for a hiding spot and look around. You're safe for now.

The next order of business is finding where they came from. You move between buildings, trying your best to go where you first saw them appear. Once there, you should be able to find the camp.

But you don't. You look for a while, uncertain of how long, but you don't find anything. If you don't hurry, you'll run out of time and have to head back. Once the sun rises, you might as well scrap the whole plan.

You move through a house, the door wide open and the ways around too clogged to even think about going those ways. You stop once you arrive at the back, peering through the windows. You see lights ahead, blocked by fences and buildings and whatever else might be between you and them. That must be it.

The anxiety hits you hard. Set made it sound like you should be able to do this easily, but it seems like they're on high alert, ready for you already. It's lit up like a sports stadium, and you don't know how you're supposed to sneak around. But you're in too deep already. Finishing the plan is the only option.

Unknown: This is probably the best time to tell you I've been following you.

You spin around, pulling your knife free from your waist.

Athena: Oh no, a knife.

She leans against a wall, unfazed by your hostility. Her blonde hair is tied up behind her head, and she's wearing clothes for the frigid air. You wish you were wearing gloves like she was, but you weren't expecting it to be so damn cold.

You: You're not going to threaten to take me back this time, right? I can trust you?

Athena: Mhm. Unless you get yourself caught.

She pushes off the wall and walks over, stopping in front of you.

Athena: You don't try to keep yourself hidden, do you? After I sent the patrols out looking for some imaginary person who came looking for trouble, it didn't take me long to find you.

You: You didn't think to help me?

Athena: Thought I'd see if you could problem solve.

You: Why?

Athena: Because by the end of all this.

She walks past you and leans on the window sill.

Athena: You're going to be in Salvation.

You: Are you threatening me?

She snorts.

Athena: I don't threaten people. It's a waste of time. I'm just saying that there's not much you can do to stop them, so they'll catch you. At which point, I will do my best to nominate you for a god role.

You: Why me?

You can't help but ask her questions. You're curious.

Athena: You looked like you could handle yourself from what I saw. Plus.

She walks over to you.

Athena: I think you're good-looking.

She comes close and hovers in front of your face for a few seconds before abruptly turning away and chuckling.

Athena: There's a lot of people that have been tested for a role as my partner. They've all died... I just want one, so I'm not as lonely. You won't be the first person I've nominated, and you won't be the last, probably. There's really no reason at all.

You: So you just pick anyone you take an interest in?

Athena: Pretty much. Now, you don't have much time left, so we should be going if you're all out of questions.

You: You're coming?

Athena: I have to go back. Might as well give you the tour.