Manhunt-Severed

You feel free.

As you opened your eyes, staring at the barn ceiling, you felt overwhelmingly free. No more council ruling over you, forcing you to do their bidding. You're your own person again.

You close your eyes, sucking in a breath of air. It almost feels fresher.

Brooklyn: What are you thinking about?

You open your eyes to look at her. She's fallen back from the rest of the group to settle next to you as you walk. You took up the back because you wanted some alone time. Brooklyn doesn't seem to care.

You: Nothing.

Brooklyn: Are you lying?

You: No.

Brooklyn: Nep told me about the plan last night.

You: So?

Brooklyn: So, I'm just making sure you're not thinking about it too much.

You: How could I not?

Brooklyn: Just don't overthink it. We don't know anything yet... You can come talk to me if you need to.

You: Alright.

Brooklyn: How about you join the rest of us instead of brooding in the back by yourself? May take your mind off it.

You: Sure.

You start to speed up so you can get closer to the rest.

You: What were you talking about?

Brooklyn: Whatever came to our minds. Just random shit. But you know what we need to talk about?

You: What?

Brooklyn: Names. They're not gods anymore either, and they keep calling me kAthena. It's kind of annoying.

You: You seemed pretty attached when we were talking.

Brooklyn: Yeah, but now you're calling me Brooklyn, and I like it.

She jogs forward and throws her arm over Nep's shoulders. She stumbles forward from the surprise.

Brooklyn: Alright, losers. Time to have a chat.

Nep: What?

She sounds annoyed.

Brooklyn: My name is not Athena; we're not gods anymore. We need to talk names.

Oni: I thought I heard you and Ares calling each other by other names.

You: We dropped them when we were locked up.

Brooklyn: We had a moment. Now we're tight.

You: Sure.

She lets go of Nep, drops her pace, and then readjusts next to you again.

Brooklyn: My name is Brooklyn. So if you can kindly forget that I was ever called Athena, I would be grateful.

She elbows you.

You: You all know my name already.

Oni: I don't. Did I miss something?

Set: Not really.

You: Sorry, I forgot about you. Y/N.

Brooklyn: Alright. Who's next?

Oni: I've got no attachment to mine, so I'll gladly dump it for my real name. Call me Cas, but my real name is Cassius.

Cassius. It sounds like an old name to you. You're not sure you've ever heard anyone with the name. Maybe that's why his parents chose it.

Brooklyn: That is a fancy name.

Cas: Yeah.

Set: It's not boring, that's for sure.

Brooklyn: Sounds like you have a boring ass name.

Set: I do. I'd rather stick with Set.

Brooklyn: You don't get out of this.

Set: Mmm... Sam.

You don't feel that it's much different from Set. They're both three letters and start with an S. It Shouldn't be that hard to get used to.

Brooklyn: Definitely not as much flavor as Cassius.

Sam: Ok, Brooklyn, you've got the name of part of a city.

Brooklyn: My name is good, and you're jealous.

Nep: Her name is better.

Brooklyn: See. What about you, Y/N?

You: You're on your own, Sam.

Sam: Well, I tried.

Brooklyn: Moving on from boring-ass-name. Nep, your turn.

Nep: Emma.

You don't find yourself surprised by her name in the slightest. It belongs.

Brooklyn: Straight to the point. I like it. Think it suits you.

Emma: Does it?

Sam: I like it.

She smiles at him and then looks forward again.

Brooklyn: Think they'll get together now?

She whispers to you. You nod. It's only a matter of time.

Sam: Is that all you wanted?

Brooklyn: Yeah. Thought it might be good for us to talk about it.

Emma: It makes me feel less like a slave goddess and more like a regular person again.

It does. It humanizes everyone again. A slave god had no actual worth to the council. You were pawns to be used until you died.

Cas: I know we haven't talked about it yet, but what will we do? Like, when we find what we're looking for, what are the five of us doing?

You: I was hoping you'd stick around.

Sam: I thought that was just an unspoken thing, to be honest. We've got nowhere else to go and no one but each other.

Brooklyn: Yeah, I wasn't going anywhere.

Cas: But you can trust each other. You barely know me.

Emma: Guess you better not fuck it up then.

Sam: We wouldn't have made it out without you. Doesn't really make much sense for the council to do something so stupid even if they had it under control. It'd cause all kinds of problems for them.

Cas: I guess so.

You: I could threaten to cut your balls off again if you're that worried about it.

Cas: I don't think that's necessary.

He nervously laughs and then turns to you.

Cas: You weren't really going to do that back then, right?

You: No. Brooklyn would have just slit your throat if you didn't talk. It would have made too much noise.

Brooklyn: And then we'd still be in this mess, and you wouldn't be here.

Cas: Right.

Sam: Conversations over. Time to focus.

You: You notice something?

Sam: That town up ahead. We'll stop and see what we can find.