Vengeful-Starry Night

The house's front porch is large, decorated with two chairs on either side of a couch, a small table, and plants growing all along it all. There were potted plants once, long ago. But, they've since been lost among the weeds. You wonder if the original plants are still here.

Clem: It's cold.

You: Yeah.

You're both sitting at the top of the steps, along the edge of the porch. You decided it was the best spot to sit, considering the alternatives were the old, crappy seats or the ground outside the house.

Clem: It's nice out here too. The quiet is almost unreal. No fighting, no walkers, no sounds of death... Just quiet.

It's not truly quiet, but you get it. The sounds of nature are almost peaceful because, yeah, there's no fighting, no walkers, no sounds of death. Bugs, wind, and animals are the sounds that replace tragedy. They make you feel safe almost.

You: Clementine. Are you ok?

Clem: Why wouldn't I be?

You: Your people.

Clem: Our people... I know we'll find them. They're tough, and they'll survive.

The "our people" still doesn't feel right to you. You're not sure if it ever will. A group seemed like something you'd never have. It's not something you want, really. The thought of a group scares you.

Clem: I'm still amazed by the night sky every time I see it.

You look to the sky with her. She's able to move from the subject of her people with no problem. She really has faith in them.

Clem: I wish my parents could have got to see it like this. Wish we could go into the backyard and stare up at the stars. I remember before the walkers, seeing this was a dream.

The sky is filled with stars. A band of the Milky-Way curls across the sky. The Moon, just a crescent now, sits in front of it all, blending into the background. It's a beautiful sight.

Clem: If you really tried hard, you may have found a place to see a fraction of this.

You look at her as her eyes stay fixed on the stars above, and you smile. Seeing her happy makes you happy.

You: What uh... What happened to your parents?

You don't think about it until after you ask. You've refused time and time again to give her the answer to the same question. You don't expect a response. You already know they're dead, and she's talked briefly about them before.

Clem: They died... I don't know how. But I know they died.

You're impressed at the composure she keeps. It has probably come from telling many people over the years.

Clem: They went on a trip to Savannah, and I stayed home with a babysitter. That's when it happened. So, I was alone at the start. My babysitter died really fast, and it was a while before anyone came. Lee.

You: He's the guy you...

Clem: Mhm. He found my house and took me with him. He promised me we'd look for them, but I think he already knew they were dead. He just didn't have the heart to tell me. And months into this hell, we made it to Savannah. Not because we were looking for my parents, but because we were looking for a way to survive... This guy, he... Told me he had my parents with him. He was watching us in Savannah, manipulating me. I knew stranger danger, but he said he knew my parents, and that was all it took. That's how Lee got bit.

How she talks about Lee more than her own parents makes you think she looks to him more of a parental figure than her own mom and dad. He probably saved her life countless times, sacrificed meals for her, and to you, it sounds like he died for her.

Clem: Coming after me, fucked him. Lee saved me from that man. And as we were making our way through a herd right outside the building, I saw them. They'd turned... Then I had to shoot Lee.

She pauses for a moment and bites her lip.

Clem: I wonder how they died sometimes. I assume it was a bite, but I couldn't tell. I didn't see them for very long, and they got swept up in the herd... I hope they didn't suffer... What really scares me is I don't even remember them. I have an image in my head of what they look like, but I know it's wrong. I don't remember their voices. All I have is that... Well, I guess I don't have it.

You: What?

Clem: My hat. It was in my room when we ran, so...

You: I'm sorry.

Clem: We had to get out. There was no time to get it.

You: We got caught anyway.

Clem: I guess... So, what happened to your parents?

You expected the question. You weren't ready for it, but you expected it. She told you about hers, knowing that you would feel bad if you didn't do the same.

You: I... Clementine. I can't.

Clem: You're never gonna be ready. It's going to hurt no matter what you do.

You: I know... But not yet.

Clem: You will.

You: I will.

Clem: I'm holding you to it.

She bumps you.

Clem: You will tell me. You don't have a choice.

You fall silent, scanning the area for threats. You feel bad for not telling her, but that would mean opening up more than you're willing to.

You: So, you want to tell me about Richmond before we get there?

Clem: Changing the subject. You do that a lot.

You: Richmond, Clementine.

Clem: It's been a few years since I was there. But, it was safe for the most part. Their management at the time was... You know.

You: Their management now?

Clem: Good people if they're still in charge. If you're worried, you shouldn't be.

You: I'm always going to be worried.

Clem: I'll watch your back.

You: You'll be on my back.

Clem: Exactly.

A burst of wind sends chills through you.

Clem: Jesus, it's cold.

She inches closer to you.

You: It is.

You lower your head and start playing with your hands.

Clementine chuckles.

You: What?

Clem: Nothing.

You: Somethings funny.

Clem: You get nervous real easy.

You: Huh?

Clem: You started playing with your hands when I got closer instead of trying to warm me up.

You: What are you talking about?

Clem: I've noticed you start playing with your hands when you get nervous.

You: No, I don't.

You do.

Clem: Ok... Guess I'm gonna have to do all the work.

You: What work?

Clem: Don't worry about it.