Vengeful-Fire

You're propped against a log, running your fingers through Clementine's hair, her head resting in your lap. She hasn't woken up yet, and you didn't feel it was right to let her head lie on the ground.

Set: You two seem close.

It's the first thing he's said to you since you left the community. He's been busy starting the fire and then keeping it from going out. You'd freeze to death, not having adequate clothing, as the temperature drops. Winter is approaching swiftly.

You: We only met about a week ago.

Most of that, you were separated in that community.

Set: I see... Doesn't take much for two people to get close now, so if that was you saying you're not-

You: It wasn't.

It hurts to speak, and you can still hear the strain behind your words, but it all comes out easier than it did at first. A few hours of resting your voice has made a slight difference.

Set: So, uh... What'd you do to them?

By the look on his face, he's just trying to find another topic. You wonder if he knows he doesn't have to fill the silence.

You: Doesn't matter.

Set: Sure, sure...

You want Clementine to wake up. You want to make sure she's alright... And to be honest, you're sure she would make talking to this stranger an easier task. She's proven she's better at it than you. In a life or death situation, you can talk, but small talk... You're out of your depth.

Nep: Coasts clear. Walkers were drawn to the noise, and I got the ones that were lingering.

Set: Thanks, Nep.

She leans against a tree, far enough away that she's barely lit up by the fire.

Set: You can join us.

Nep: Set, you know we need to leave... Soon.

Set: Not yet.

Nep: Set.

Set: I told you, you don't have to stick around. I can handle this.

Nep: You know what'll happen if-

Set: I'll be fine.

Nep: Set, don't be stupid.

Set: Look at them. He can't even stand up straight, and she's missing a leg.

You know it's true, but you don't like the fact that you'd die out here without help being pointed out by some stranger.

Nep: It's not our problem.

Set: I'm gonna get them somewhere safe and then-

Nep: Set!

She takes a step forward, fists clenched. You instinctively pull your hands up to a spot to better protect yourself and Clementine. You couldn't do anything right now. Nep has weapons; you don't. She's uninjured; you're hurt.

Set: I'm sorry, Nep.

Nep: You can't do that. You know you can't.

She's worried. Scared of something.

Set: They'll die out there.

Nep: What about you, Set? What about me? You can't leave me to go back there alone. You can't leave me alone!

Set: They'll find you a new partner if they have to.

Nep: Just like they're going to find Athena a new partner? She comes back nearly dead every time they send her out. I know because I'm the one that has to stitch her back together. You leave me without someone watching my back, and I'll die.

Set: Maybe they'll pair the two of you up.

Nep: Don't be dense.

You look between the two of them, unsure of what they're talking about. Nep is clearly shaken, terrified of repercussions, and Set is calm. He's not worried in the slightest, even as his "partner" loses her cool.

Nep: Come back.

Set: They won't do anything.

Nep: Really? Torturing me to find you and then killing you when they catch up is nothing?

He gets up and walks over to her.

Set: I promise it'll be fine.

He grabs her arms.

Set: Promise.

She throws her arms up, letting out an exasperated sound, and backing away from Set.

Nep: I hate you, Set.

Set: No, you don't. You wouldn't worry so much.

She sighs.

Nep: Don't die.

Set: I won't.

She stares at him for a moment, probably debating whether or not she should let him go, and then she gives in. She turns away from him and leaves without another word.

Set: Sorry about that.

He returns to his spot by the fire.

You: It's fine.

Your hands go back to where they were. One hand running through Clementine's hair, the other resting at your side.

Set: We're slaves, so we aren't really allowed to do things like this.

You: Yet you are.

Set: Yeah... They make us do some pretty horrible things.

He pokes at the fire with a stick.

Set: Sometimes, I just need something good to do. Something nice so I can help myself sleep at night.

He shakes his head.

Set: If they catch me, they'll probably torture me before killing me. But, if I get back without being caught, I doubt they do the killing part.

You: Torture alone doesn't sound like a great option either.

Set: Eh. You go through it enough that you become indifferent to it. It's a part of my life now. Sure, it hurts like fucking hell, but whatever. Their play is obedience through fear of pain and death.

You: So, you're just being hard to get along with.

He pulls his stick from the fire and points it at you.

Set: Precisely. I don't give a shit what they do to me.

You: What if they threatened Nep?

Set: They haven't.

You: But what if?

He goes back to poking his fire.

Set: Then they'd have my undying loyalty.

You look down at Clementine.

Set: We'll head out in the morning. Get some rest.

He stands up and stretches.

You: Where are we going?

Set: We'll discuss that when we're all awake.

You: You're not taking us back to your community, are you?

Set: No. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

He begins walking into the woods.

Set: I know Nep just checked, but I'm checking the area. She made a lotta noise.

You watch him as he disappears into the woods, wondering where he's from. You hope you never find out.