Vengeful-Monster

Every time you sleep, you dream of the past. Some event plays itself over in your head and makes you relive some of the worst moments of your life. But, every once in a while, you won't remember what you dreamed of. You'll wake up having slept well and be ready to tackle the day and whatever hardships inevitably come along.

Since arriving at Ericsson's Boarding School, as Violet called it, you haven't slept well once. You're sleeping worse than you did when you were out in the wild. Having a bed to sleep on, while comfortable, is unsettling. You don't trust comfort anymore.

After you went to sleep on your fourth day at the school, you were thrust into the past. A leader and his small group cornered you after you stole from them and killed someone on your way out.

Leader: You thought.

The man kicks you in the stomach.

Leader: That you could just take our shit and walk away?

He bends over, so he's face to face with you. You've been forced to your knees and stripped of your shirt.

Leader: You thought it was that simple, didn't you? Killed one of our guys to make a point too.

You spit in his face. He straightens back up and wipes it away.

Leader: The world has fallen, kid. The laws have passed away, and we're left to deal with that. Impose whatever rules we want.

He returns to his group. They total twenty-three, including him, and surround you in a semicircle. Most of them have guns to deter you.

Leader: I will make an example of you. Everyone here will see what happens tonight and know what we do to traitors.

The rain has started coming down harder, stinging your skin as it connects.

Leader: We took you in. Thought you could use the help, seeing as you're so young. And this is how you repay us? By killing one of us and stealing our supplies?

He starts toward you, having grabbed his weapon.

Leader: What do we do, you ask?

You: I didn't.

Leader: Is this how you're going to act as death looks you in the eyes? Like an ass?

You don't respond to him. You're just waiting for him to do what he wants to do. And then that opening that will open up. You just have to stay focused and look for it.

Leader: Well, we're going to make sure you understand what you did. Make sure you regret it. Then, and only when you've seen the error of your ways, we'll kill you. That will be quick.

He holds the weapon he's chosen to use out in your direction, gesturing to it.

Leader: The first part, not so much.

It's a whip adorned with shards of glass, sharp rocks, nails, and whatever else they could find that would cut and dig into your flesh.

Leader: Is that fear I see in your eyes?

You: You wish. Do your fucking worst.

You're not scared. Yeah, it'll hurt like hell, but you're not scared.

Leader: Stand!

He yells from behind you. He's maybe a few feet back.

Leader: Did you hear me, or is this your final act of defiance?