Gods-Ehecatl

The people of the turbines only go out so far when they patrol the perimeter of the turbines. When the gods bring supplies over, they go out a little further and check some nearby areas of interest. Occasionally, they'll run into a small group that's just passing through.

Set and Nep are doing their routine check, walking from one town to the next. They arrived at the turbine just after nightfall, checked in, and started their tour of the surrounding area. They'll be out for the rest of the night and won't make it to Salvation until about midday tomorrow.

Set: How do those things even work? We're miles away from the city.

Nep: I think the power goes through the wires next to highways, but I don't know.

Set: There's that one area. The... Substation is what they call it, I think. I thought that was how the power got to the city.

Nep: I think the power goes to that and then to the city through the powerlines. It doesn't just magically go from one place to another.

Set: I guess. Maybe we could ask one of the engineers.

Nep: I wouldn't. Doesn't seem like something they'd want us to know.

Set: It could be useful.

Nep: For sabotaging them.

Set: I just mean, for like, if we ever get out of Salvation and settle down somewhere else. That could be useful.

Nep: The only way we're getting out is if we die. Besides, you're not going to learn enough about it by talking to them once anyway.

Set: Do you ever dream? You should try it.

Nep: I feel like it just makes things worse.

Set: It's nice to escape sometimes.

They haven't run into anything out of the ordinary yet. Wild animals, walkers, roads, cars. The whole trip seems like a waste of time to them. It is.

Set: Do you want to call it a night after this?

Nep: All there is after this is the carnival. We might as well check everything.

Set: You're the boss. It seems like they're punishing us for something, but it feels great. A night away from Salvation, just walking around. Hardly a punishment.

Nep: It is a crappy punishment. What'd you do?

Set: Nothing.

Nep: Me either.

Set: Well it wasn't me.

Nep: And it wasn't me.

Set: Huh.

As they near the town, they're unaware that a group has settled there and has been hiding out for a few days. Even being just a few hours' walk out is a big risk. An unnecessary and dangerous gamble that could get the entire group captured or killed. But to take down Salvation, you need to take a few risks.