Gods-Shiva

The smoke rises into the clouds, dark grey from the fires that burn within the community known as The Refuge. There are dozens of communities with that exact name scattered around the world, just like Haven or Sanctuary or Salvation. It's only natural to name communities that way, even though they lack originality.

The Refuge was safe, living up to its name. The people inside were happy, living their day-to-day lives like they used to. They had parties and cookouts, got married and had children, had jobs and chores. They had everything one strives for now, something ordinary and consistent.

Now The Refuge is chaos. People scramble for weapons or escape routes, but their care for one another has left. It's a free-for-all.

-

A man is on his back, trying to push his former wife off him. She was shot through the heart, and the man didn't have what it took to destroy her brain before she woke up. She was all he had left after their three-year-old son was eaten just a year ago. No one came to help him, so he stayed with his wife's body, hoping someone would come.

It takes everything he has just to keep her from biting him. He can't see from the tears in his eyes. All the noise would make it impossible for him to shout out for help. He's trapped, waiting for the only person he had left to eat him.

Man: Lilia, please!

He knows it won't do anything; pleading with a walker is pointless. But he can't help it. He doesn't want to let go.

One last bite at him, and her head flies back. Someone grabbed her by the hair and pulled her off him. She now reaches for her attacker, and he puts a knife in her head. Her arms fall to the sides, and she's pushed off the man.

Unknown: Up.

The man is grabbed and pulled to his feet.

Man: Thank you.

Unknown: Follow the rest of your people.

Man: Where?

Unknown: To the trailers.

Man: The trailers?

The man doesn't move. He stares at Lilia's body, wondering how he'll go on.

Unknown: You must not understand the situation.

The man is grabbed by the shirt collar as the other pulls him over.

Unknown: Follow the rest of your people.

Man: Please. Let me say goodbye to her.

Unknown: She's dead.

Man: She's all I had left.

The other man looks at the wife's body and lets the man go.

Unknown: I can't do that.

Man: Please.

The other man looks around.

Unknown: You only have a few seconds.

Man: I want to bury her.

Unknown: You can't.

Man: Please.

The man clasps his hands together in front of himself.

Man: Please, sir.

Without hesitation this time, glancing at the man's shoulder.

Unknown: Alright.

Man: Thank you. Thank you so much.

The man bends down next to his wife, quietly sobbing to himself.

Unknown 2: What's going on?

Another walks over. She looks down at the man and his dead wife and then back to her partner.

Unknown: He's saying goodbye.

Unknown 2: You know he can't do that. What if someone saw this?

Unknown: It doesn't matter.

He pulls out a pistol and shoots the man in the back of the head. The man's body falls onto his wife's body, landing in an awkward position.

Unknown: She bit him.

He points to the man's shoulder.

Unknown 2: Damn.

He looks at his partner and then at the pair lying on the ground. He played a part in ruining a lot of lives today.

Unknown 2: We've got a lot to do, still.

She lays a hand on his shoulder.

Unknown 2: It's easier if you don't think about it.

Unknown: Let's go.

Salvation has claimed another community. The first one in six months.