chapter 20 - opening weekend

Before Jake knew it, the opening weekend of the 2019-20 Premier League season had arrived. A home game vs Everton was to start Manchester United's season, and he couldn't be more excited to get going. A refreshing summer had brought many new things into Jake's life; these had given him extra hunger to make this season his best yet. A little thought in the back of his mind was that Euro 2020 was happening at the end of the Premier League season, and he'd love to go.

Mason's Chelsea campaign was to start on the Sunday, with an afternoon trip to Southampton. As a Portsmouth fan, Mase loved any chance he got to beat his former local rivals. He'd not stopped texting Jake about how much he'd love a goal against them.

With a new season brought the first time the managers would have to select a starting 11 and set out their stalls on how they saw the starting line up, this season. Jake had played good minutes under Mourinho last season, and that had continued when Ole took over. He was hoping to be a consistent starter this year. Mase, on the hand, has spent most of last season at Derby County. There, under now Chelsea boss, Frank Lampard, he had continued to develop and show his class. With Lampard now at the helm of the Blues, Mason hoped he would feature regularly for the senior team.

Jake arrived at Old Trafford early that Saturday, keen to settle early and relax any first game nerves. Slowly, the rest of the first team players started to file in and they amassed in the changing room, awaiting Ole's team sheet and pre warm up chat. The Norwegian came in smiling as always, and gave the boys a summary of their game plan, followed by the starting 11.

"David in goals, Shaw at Left Back, Maguire and Lindelof at centre half, and Aaron at Right back." The defensive end was complete and Jake's heart started to pump slightly faster, knowing the midfielders were up next. "In the middle, we have Pogba and Rivs, with Jesse playing in front of them." Jake's body let out a collective sigh and fist pump, both relieved and excited to start. "And up front, we have Martial on left, James on the right and Marcus in the middle." Ole finished his team list.

"Let's get out there and warm up then lads" bellowed Captain Maguire. Nothing could ever live up to how epic it was to walk out into the 'Theatre of Dreams' to play in front of a sell put crowd; Jake felt the privilege every time he ever did.

***

manchesterunited: today's starting XI vs Everton #COYR

liked by deanhenderson, carras16 and premierleague
philneville18: come on boys
weareunited: solid team
reddevilfanatic: let's start of the season right 🙌🏻

***

The full time whistle went, a 3-1 victory for the home side and Jake was buzzing. Rashy had got on the scoresheet, with a double and Captain Maguire had finished the scoring, converting a cross from Jake. DCL had also netted for Everton, a small consolation for him that he performed well. The dressing room afterwards was electric, and the whole team joined each other in the players lounge afterwards, where they could chill with family who had come to watch the game, chat with opposition players and staff, or just get a good post match meal.