chapter 81 - a new challenge

6 years later - 2028 - Press Conference before the opening game of EURO 2028

"A question for Jake." said the reporter, "Are rumours true that you'll be announcing you're retiring after these championships?"

"My full focus is on this tournament, I'm very lucky to have been to 2 world cups, won one, and now I am here at my third EUROs and I'd quite like to win one of those too."

"But 31 is fairly young to retire, do you not think you could push it the next World Cup?" the reporter pushed.

"31 is young to retire, but who said I was retiring?"

***

Jake had been prepared for these questions. He knew his reluctance to sign a new contract at United had caused eyebrows to be raised. But the truth was he was retiring after this tournament. And for the best reason. Him and Mase were having a baby.

He had talked retiring through with all his close people before he'd made the choice. "You don't need retire just because you're becoming a parent." was an argument he'd heard a lot. But in reality that wasn't the whole reason. Jake felt like he was done, and that football was no longer first. And he knew you can't continue if football doesn't come first at all times.

He wanted other things.

He felt like he'd achieved everything he wanted. A Premier League Title with United, 3 LaLiga titles and a Champions League with Barcelona and Mase, a World Cup with England, captained his country. When he and Mase got married, they decided they would move abroad. Neither wanted to play for another club in England, so they decided to move somewhere where they could both play top tier football in Europe and live together.

They'd assumed that places like Milan, Rome and Madrid, where there were two teams in the same city, would be semi-realistic. But that summer, Barcelona had come in for them both and the next 3 years of their lives were spent primarily in the Catalan sunshine. Jake was placed 3rd in the Ballon D'Or in their first year over there, and Mase was playing a totally different style of football, which he was loving. Spain made Jake feel very close to his dad. That made the times when he missed family so much easier. They both missed old teammates, family and friends, but being with each other, out in the open, was totally worth it.

At the end of 2025, an opportunity arose for Jake to return to Manchester United. They'd discussed when to go back to England, as that was always the plan. But Mase didn't feel like he was ready and Chelsea wasn't really an option at the time. Bayern were interested and they decided that the next season, they'd live in different countries. The year wasn't as bad as they both thought. It was hard at first, but Jake loved being back at United, and they had a killer team that year with Jude Bellingham, De Jong along with Rashy, Hendo in net. Mason loved German Football and really excelled in his year in Munich.

Then the phone rang in the summer. It was Frank Lampard. "Hi Mase, look I'm being appointed Manager back at Stamford Bridge. And I want you to come back." Mase and Jake laughed at the old fling Mason had had with the former Chelsea player. But ultimately, Chelsea was where Mason's heart was. It was harder being back in the UK and both not living together. They spent as much time as possible with each other, but the travel was hard. So after a second season of it, Jake decided enough was enough.

They had a baby on the way, they needed all to be together.

So this was it, 2028 was the end. And not one bit of Jake was in any doubt.

***

masonmount: family complete, my heart is so full ❤️ @jakerivers6 liked by frenkiedejong, chelseafc and england

liked by frenkiedejong, chelseafc and england

jasbenham: my heart is bursting! Can't wait to meet him
mollyrivers: AHHHH mase, Aunty Molly and Uncle Dan are ready for cuddles
marcusrashford: 😍😍😍 another addition to the brood
niamhriversss: im too pregnant to see this 😭😭😭 congratulations, can't wait to visit
benchilwell: 💙💙💙 gassed boys
pedri: felicidades por la nueva llegada ❤️
declanrice: you guys im READY for the godfather call up, I'll promise to corrupt him, tell him all your secrets and generally be class😎

jasbenham: my heart is bursting! Can't wait to meet himmollyrivers: AHHHH mase, Aunty Molly and Uncle Dan are ready for cuddlesmarcusrashford: 😍😍😍 another addition to the broodniamhriversss: im too pregnant to see this 😭😭😭 congratulations, c...

jakerivers6: welcome to the world Brody Sergio 💚 love you more than words can say 👨‍👨‍👦 @masonmount
liked by marcusrashford, england, manchesterunited

georgerivers93: what a name ❤️ can't wait for him to meet the clan, love you bro
deanhenderson: god help brody with you and Mase 😂 so proud guys
fikayotomori: YES BRODY - you've got 7 mental uncles ready to show you loads of bad habits
tammyabraham: MAN LIKE BRODY - congrats mase and rivs - I love you
itsamelewigi: Cuddles ASAP are necessary
philfoden: ❤️❤️❤️
judebellingham: you guys 🥺
trentarnold66: can't wait to tell you about all the crazy shit your dads have done brody ❤️