chapter 52 - back on the grass

A couple of weeks had passed since Jake had come out. The first few days had comprised of a barrage of well wishes and support. He declined to do any interviews, but had deeply appreciated the reaction of the football community. Did he have the occasional message calling him a faggot? Yes. Did this bother him? Not as much as he thought it would.

The number of texts he'd received from players he had played with and against, was overwhelming. A couple of players came out to him, and said he'd given them the strength to start the process of being more honest with themselves and their loved ones. It was a part of this that Jake hadn't thought about too much - the help it could give to others. But it was a lovely silver lining to a situation he didn't expect to find himself in.

Mase had stayed up in Manchester with him, which Jake had loved. They'd been careful to stay in the house, and sneak Mason out if they needed to go somewhere. But, surprisingly, the press had left Jake largely alone. No cameras outside his house, no paparazzi following him. They'd been scared that there would be a search from the media, for the boy Jake was photographed with. However, the damning reaction of the football community, and the LGBT+ community, on the tabloid press had led them to back off, at least while public opinion of them was so low.

England camp was next week so Mason had gone home to collect stuff and see his family, before they reported to St George's Park. Southgate had called several more times to check in on Jake, which he appreciated. But he was glad it wasn't long til he was going to be back on a pitch with a ball. Get on with things. This had been the shortest off season of his career, but to Jake, it had felt like the longest.

"All packed for camp, love?" Jane, Jake's mum, asked from the other end of the phone. Her calls had been daily since the statement.

"Yeah yeah. Very excited to get going again."

"How long is this one?"

"12 days, matches next Saturday and the following Tuesday."

"Ooh a long one!"

"Pretty much preseason for us all though, guarantee there will be a lot of running."

"Well, enjoy love and I'll see you once you're back."

"Thanks mum, love you."

"Love you too."

***

The car arrived early to take Jake to SGP, but he had already been sat ready for the last 20 minutes. Mase had text him a selfie from the car, having already set off. Jake smiled at the Chelsea boy's cute smile; it gave him a warm glow inside, and relinquished some of the nervousness he had about seeing the group. He'd had nothing but support from the England boys, but it still didn't shift the little bit of Jake that was shitting himself.

"Hey Jakey!" Katie greeted him, as Jake opened the car door.

"Hey, how are you?" he asked, hugging her.

"I'm good, how are you?" She asked, bringing him in tighter.

"I'm good, I'm good."

"We are all so proud of you, Jake."

"Thanks Katie."

"Passport?" Katie broke the hug and smiled.

"Here it is." Jake grinned.

"Wooo! Right, you know where you are going, see you later."

Jake walked into the complex, and bumped straight into Gareth, who embraced him.

"Big couple of weeks for you Jake, there's no pressure on you here, just take your time."

"Thanks boss, I'm just excited to get going again and do what I love."