chapter 24 - debutant

Saturday 7th September 2019

The day of the first England game of the season had arrived. The few days at St George's Park had been the best of Jake's year. He was playing great football, he loved being back with the England guys and he got to see Mase. They had both managed to keep their 'situation' very low key after that first day on camp, yet Jake still hadn't found the right time to tell Mase that Trent now knew too. Today definitely wasn't going to be that day either. Today was game day.

They'd gotten on the coach to drive to Wembley in the late morning, with the kick off being 5pm against Bulgaria. Jake and Chilly boarded the bus together and sat nearer the back, chatting about Huddersfield. Ben had played been on loan at Jake's boyhood club, and they were both discussing how they were doing this season plus the footballing gossip from the year Ben was there. Mase got on the coach and plonked himself next to Dec. He gave Jake a small smile as he walked past to take his seat. It wasn't Mason's usual grin, but Jake could tell he was nervous. Not at the thought of playing, but at the thought of not. Mase has been at internationals before but was still to make his debut. He desperately wanted to get on the pitch tonight and it was etched all over his face. The gaffer hadn't revealed his starting 11 yet, but Jake also hoped that the Chelsea boy would make it on tonight.

***

the rivers fam

mumma j: good luck tonight jakey, will see you after the game x

dad: good luck to the boys

george: see you after jake x

niamh: lets go jakester! love ya good luck x

molly: me and Dan watching from Spain, COME ON YOU LIONS!

***

The players piled into the changing room and all sat in front of their shirts, awaiting Gareth to go through the starting line up.

"Right lads, we are starting with a 4-3-3. Pickford in goals, Trips on the right, Keane and Maguire at centre back, Danny Rose on the left." Southgate started. "Then Declan, Jordan, Jake in the middle and Kane, Marcus and Raheem up front."

Jake was buzzing inside to be starting but did have a small thought for Mase. Off the bench it would have to be. England went out to warm up. Nothing could beat Wembley for Jake - the atmosphere created by  80,000 expectant, passionate fans made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Pulling on the white shirt, looking down at the Three Lions; Jake couldn't believe he had made it here. Representing your country was the biggest honour in football.

"You got this." Jake was snapped out of his haze by Mason whispering in his ear.

"We've got this." Jake smiled, as the walked back into the changing rooms. The boss and Kane spoke in the pre match huddle, keeping the group focussed on the task at hand; securing top of the qualifying group and to make sure they made it to EURO 2020. Jake's heart pounded as they assembled in the tunnel. 'Showtime' he told himself.

***

Early in the second half, England were cruising. A double from Kane and a right footed shot from Sterling had them in a comfortable position. The ball was cut out on the half way line and the refs whistle went, his hands gesticulating towards the sideline. Jake turned to see the fourth officials board rise above his head and a smiling Mase underneath. Jordan Henderson jogged off the pitch, embracing the young Chelsea boy making his England debut. Mason sprinted into the field, low-fiving Dec and Jake as he got to them.

Mase couldn't believe he got to make his debut in a packed out Wembley, his family in the crowd and with Dec and Jake along side him. The pride and excitement emanated through his body. Missing out on making his debut on his previous squad inclusion felt totally worth it for this moment.

***

england: Debutant 💫 

england: Debutant 💫 

liked by jakerivers6, chelseafc and tammyabraham
declanrice: yes brother 🙌🏻❤️
marcusrashford: Love it @masonmount 🔥🔥
masonmount: ❤️❤️❤️

***

greek gods and grandad

solanke: yes mase is on!

dcl: 🔥🔥🔥 let's gooooo

feeks: big congrats masey 😍😍

foden: 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

hendo: 💙💙💙

tammy: so fkn proud bro

***

England 4-0 Bulgaria

The lads had comfortable done the job and were in a buoyant mood after the win. They all went upstairs after getting changed, most of the group having friends and family there to watch. Jake had been so happy that Mase got on the pitch and that he got to share it with him. The pair shared on embrace after the final whistle, and Jake got to tell him how proud he was. It was nothing like how proud the faces of the Mount family were though, when they saw them some 30 minutes later.

"So proud son." Tony exclaimed when he embraced Mase.

"Thanks dad." Mase replied.

"Jake, will you take a photo of us all?" Jas called over at the midfielder, who has stood just behind the ball of hugs.

"Sure sure." Jake took the camera and snapped a few pictures of the Mount gang, all buzzing at Mason's debut. Handing the camera back to Jas, Jake turned to see his own family had walked over.

"Well played Jakey." Serg patted the young lad on the back.

"Ta Dad." Jake replied. Realising the two families were now facing each other, he began to introduce them. "Mum, Dad, George, Niamh, these are the Mounts. Tony, Debbie, Jas, Sam, Lewis, These are the Rivers' fam." Jake managed to get out everyone's name in this big amalgamation of families. The two clans began making their own introductions and hugs were shared. The Rivers's all gave Mason a hug and congratulated him on the debut, Jane and Debbie then got into a very detailed conversation over the shoes Debbie was wearing. Sergio and Tony were talking football, with George and Niamh chatting to Lewis, Sam and Jas.

Mason and Jake looked on. They both couldn't believe that a drunken night on a Greek beach had led to this. The smile they shared lit up the room. Thankfully, everyone else was occupied by their own families. Jake put his arm around Mase as they enjoyed their families getting along. Leaving his head down into Mase's ear Jake whispered.

"I love you."