chapter 22 - sgp

three lions boyos

el capitano added jake rivers, mason mount, james maddison and tyrone mings to the chat

el capitano: welcome to the group chat boys - as some of you will know - we reincarnate this chat for different squads so don't be offended if you are kicked. Injuries stay in the GC for some moral support. I know we are all very excited to have you on board and can't wait to meet up and get the hard work started!

rashy: welcome gents - some nicknames on here are weird but I'm sure you'll work it out

rashy set jake rivers's nickname to rivs

deccers set mason mount's nickname to money mase

chilly set james maddison's nickname to madders

slabhead set tyrone mings's nickname to mingsy

madders: thanks el capitano, hi again one and all 👋🏻

money mase: cheers for that dec 🙄 hi everyone

rivs: nice to be back in the GC, hey all

deccers: welcome back bitches

mingsy: wait have you 3 all been here before?

rivs: we have, mase yet to debut though so you ain't fully alone

rashy: all good Tyrone, rivs and madders were barely here either so all in the same boat 🐸☕️

reem: ooooh shots fired

deccers: 🤭🤭🤭

rivs: the disrespect is real, it okay tho rashy I get you must feel defensive now you being replaced by a younger model @sanch

sanch: 😏😏😏

rashy:

slabhead: well great to see you two being the same in this chat as you are in every other 🙄

chicken: can I just address my nickname pls, it's still highly offensive

pick n mix: it's because ur scouse, trent

hendo: And you look like one as well! p.s. welcome Tyrone and returners

deccers: tyrone and the returners sounds like a band

chilly: ahhhhh ty when you do your song, these three have to back you up

el capitano: I like that idea

madders: I'll warm the vocal chords

ox: fuck that madders, my ears can't take it, please just stand and sway in the background

tinky winky: yeah madders begging you please don't

madders: my voice is lovely thanks

chilly: mate it's not

trippy: James son, we all remember last time. Let's not have a repeat.

mingsy: what songs have been done before?

hendo: we've had a lot of Ed Sheeran recently so maybe avoid that

rivs: mine was islands in the stream

chilly: i was an sheeran offender and I have no regrets

bark bark: mine was pompeii by bastille

slabhead: tune tbf ross - mine was cher, believe

chicken: 😂😂😂

slabhead: a banger thanks @chicken

el capitano: can't wait for it mingsy, see everyone tomorrow 👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻

rashy: excited boyos

***

The drive to St George's Park wasn't too long from Manchester, but long enough for Jake to have put his headphones in and get through a few new albums. It couldn't quite take his mind of how excited he felt. One, he would get to see Mase. Having not had a fixture alignment where he could stay in London or Mase up in the North, it'd be six weeks since they had since each. And two, he was getting to live his boyhood dream. Playing for England was more than Jake could of expect from his career and he was going to lap up every second of it.

His thoughts turned to Mason and how would they act around each other in camp. Dec and Marcus knew about their relationship but bar that, barely anyone knew Jake was gay, yet alone dating a teammate. He had played with Chilly at U21s a bit and knew Trent well too. Trent was a similar age and he had always come up against him in age group games. They had some mutuals, ended up hanging out together a few time and became friends. Mase also knew Trent pretty well through England age group squads and had played with Sancho too.

Trent knew Jake was gay; it made Jake more comfortable that there were a couple of teammates who were purely England teammates, that knew, so he could at least gauge the potential reaction of the others. Fuck knows what management would think if they knew about him and Mason. Jake put this to the back of his head, with a distinct final thought. 'I put England above one relationship and lost it, I don't want it to cost me another.'

***

The car pulled up outside the SGP complex. Jake had thought it was ridiculous that he lived a few roads away from Marcus, yet they had had to get different cars and arrive separately for media purposes. The United youngster opened his door, thanked his driver, and unloaded his bags out onto the path.

"Welcome back to St George's Park, Jake." Katie, one of the England National Team staff, greeted him. She took his boots to give to the kit men and showed him inside.

"Get yourself to check in, they will sort your room out for you, then everyone is due in Meeting Room 2 at 2pm. Any food you need the, restaurant is open." Katie directed him.

"Thanks Katie, lovely to see you again." Jake smiled.

"And you!"

Jake got his room key and went to put his bags away before coming back down for the meeting.

"What you saying brotherrrrr!" bellowed from behind him. Jake turned to see a grinning Marcus.

"Eyyyy, what room number are you Rash?"

"124, you?"

"136"

"Bit further down the corridor Rivs, I need some food me, see you at the meeting."

"Alright bro, see you in a bit." Jake continued til he reached room 136. He scanned his card and opened the door to a classic hotel-style double room. There was a note on the side from the staff welcoming him back to SGP, which made Jake smile. He'd just finished reading it when there was a knock at the door. He opened it to a smiling Mason Mount. Jake couldn't keep the smile of his face.

"How the fuck did you know it was my room?" Jake asked.

"Saw your name on the this list as the one below mine." Mase replied holding up his room 135 key card.

"Ah just across the hall then," Jake smirked, "very convenient."

"Oh for what exactly, Mr Rivers?" Mase said pushing Jake into his room and onto the bed. Mason landed on top of him. Looking into his eyes, the two kissed deeply.

"Missed you." Jake said, looking up at him.

Mase pulled him back into another kiss, passionate and loving. So lost in it, the didn't have time to react to the unclosed door, swinging open.

"What the hell...."